Sign in to follow this  
clancaster

Towing 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Hi, I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that I want to tow behind a 2013 Entegra Athem.

I put the transfer case in neutral and the automatic transmission in park and remove the key. I noticed the drive-shaft will still turn when I roll the Jeep.

Is the drive-shaft supposed to turn or not? Confused!

Will appreciate some helpful information.

Thanks,

Clarence

The direction of power goes 1) engine, 2) transmission, 3) transfer case, 4) drive lines, 5) differentials, 6) axles, and finally 7) wheels. Everything behind the transfer case turns together, or not at all.

I tow an Avalanche 4-down... transfer case in neutral, but I leave the key in the first "ON" position to allow the front wheels to turn left and right with the coach on left and right turns, respectively. The Avalanche is 4WD and has the same power train configuration as your Jeep... unless, of course, Jeeps have completely different DNA. Hmmmm... actually, I have never owned a jeep.

clancaster, I tow a 2008 Wrangler, I follow the procedures in manual ,I do not remove key, place it in ACC position to allow steering,I have a disconnect switch for battery as I have electronic equipment. I have never noticed the drive shaft as long as it free rolls I am ok, have towed over 12,000 miles on the 2008 and prior 2005 model 15,000 miles.

Thanks for the replies. My 08 Jeep rolls freely with transfer case in neutral and transmission in park. The steering wheel still turns and when I looked the driveshaft still rotated. I was thinking the driveshaft would not rotate in this situation. Did you use a wiring harness from the Jeep to the motorhome and if so where did you connect the wiring harness to the Jeep? I have 4 pin and round 7 pin connectors at rear of coach.

I tow an Avalanche 4-down... transfer case in neutral, but I leave the key in the first "ON" position to allow the front wheels to turn left and right with the coach on left and right turns, respectively. The Avalanche is 4WD and has the same power train configuration as your Jeep... unless, of course, Jeeps have completely different DNA. Hmmmm... actually, I have never owned a jeep.

Your Avalanche does not need to have the key on. You do not have a lock pin in your vehicle. Chevrolet removed them some time back. neither my 2003 Yukon 4x4 nor my 2008 Silverado have pins. With the key on you are racking up the mileage on the speedometer.

Herman

Your rear driveshaft will turn when towed with the transfer case in neutral unless you have some kind of driveshaft disconnect on the Jeep, which you don't need.

Herman - With my key in the OFF position, that is the position where I can remove the key, my steering wheel is locked... and the front wheels are not free to turn left and right in tow when the coach turns. My Avalanche is a 2002 1500 Z71. Perhaps the later models have the pins removed to allow the steering to follow in the turns? Most times when I turn the key out of the OFF position I have to jiggle the steering wheel to unbind the wheel lock in order to be able to turn the key out of the OFF position... because the steering wheel is locked with the key either removed or in the off position.

Thanks for the replies. My 08 Jeep rolls freely with transfer case in neutral and transmission in park. The steering wheel still turns and when I looked the driveshaft still rotated. I was thinking the driveshaft would not rotate in this situation. Did you use a wiring harness from the Jeep to the motorhome and if so where did you connect the wiring harness to the Jeep? I have 4 pin and round 7 pin connectors at rear of coach.

I use a 4 pin connection wired into front of Jeep below bumper interconnected from MH to activate lights, brakes and turn signals .

Herman - It seems I owe you an apology. After our most recent exchange a few weeks ago regarding the steering lock on towed vehicles, you stated my Avalanche could have the key removed and the wheels would steer to follow the motorhome when making corners. You are indeed correct.

I am currently on a 3,000 mile cruise and have been towing my Avalanche with the key removed... and, as you also stated, the odometer does not reflect the towed mileage.

Thank you... DTR