Sign in to follow this  
golfstergal

Changing Oil Myself?

I just did some services my self and saved alot of $$$. As long as your mechanically able its nothing more than a car. Just read up on the specs; you should definitley know the model numbers of your components your working on (example: is the trans. due to the gaskets, size of pan, filters, etc). You can buy everything thru your local auto parts store. If you can't figure it out come back and post help on this site; it worked for me. I love FMCA and its members; theres alot of knowledge. It's definitley helped me out of hair pulling problems.

I have done all my vehicles for years. As yet I have not done the MH because I have not acquired the 'stuff' necessary to take care of 28 quarts of oil. I currently take the MH and the new oil/filter to a Mom and Pop diesel shop. For $65 they change oil/filter, dispose of the oil/filter and lube the chassis.

I have an Onan 5.5 and changing oil and filter was easy. Might need special oil filter wrench if your genset takes the same filter mine does (but I already had the wrench 'cause it's the same one used for the BMW K-type motorcycle oil filter!).

--Tim C.

Am thinking of doing this myself, as well as replacing the filter. Anyone done this?

It depends on your skill level. If you are mechanically inclined and read the manuals it would be very possible that you could do the change.

First welcome to the forum. If you post what coach and chassis you have it will help in getting good answers. There is no reason you can’t change your own oil and filter. You will find it is easier because you generally have more clearance. You do need to find out how much oil you need so you know how big of pan you need. You can find video on you tub on servicing your onan.

Bill

Thank you all so much. My son is "expert" oil changer and said he could do this for us; however, we had been told by several people that you must take into a service center and pay BIG bucks. This is our first RV and were concerned. It's a 2006 Monaco and of course we read the manuals first! (were amazed at how much oil it takes). The manual suggests change every 15,000 miles, but I read out here on the forum that someone suggested changing it every year regardless of mileage.

What I'm really impressed with is that you all took the time to answer. That makes our new adventure feel like we really are traveling with a family! (Left Florida the end of June and are spending the summer visiting family and friends in Michigan before venturing our way back south before the snow flies).

Blessings, Candy

Oil and filter change for the engine is straight forward. Should not be an issue if you can chage it on your car you can change it on your MH.

Biggest issue is how to get rid of the 30 gallons of old oil.

Make sure you change the fuel filters at the same time, could save some problems later.

I change my oil and filters yearly. I don't worry about the miles.

Unless you’re really up to it I would take it to a shop for the transmission.

I would guess you have an Alison transmission. You can go to Allison web site and get all the info for your transmission. http://www.allisontransmission.com/myallisontransmission/mytransmissioninformation/

You will need the serial number to get the right filter kit. Changing the transmission fluid is as easy as or easier than changing the engine oil. I bought the fluid; Transcend is the recommended fluid, at Inland truck parts. Here is a link there may be one near you as you don’t have your location in your profile or signature.

http://www.inlandtruck.com/locations/ftworth-tx.php

You should start building a library of part numbers and serial numbers. When you get the right part numbers you can save a little by buying from places on line like Filter barn.

http://www.filterbarn.com/

Bill

How about changing the Onan 7.4 Genset?

I just did this on my Onan 4.7 (not sure about a 7.4). Anyway, there is a dust cover at the bottom over the drain plug, the heads are some kind of allen or torx. I could not get them off easily and had to use vice grips. Before I put that cover back on, I got replacement machine screws at the hardware store. They were metric, I believe M6, and with a regular hex bolt head. But bring one with you. As to the drain plug, I did not have a problem. But the man at the RV shop I use said sometimes they are really hard to get off and then it has to be replaced with a drain plug kit that Onan sells. So try it, if it comes off easy, your set. If not, then you might have to take the RV in.

Engine Oil on my 26' Winnebago Aspect Ford V10 is easy. I have done it twice. Last August, before a cross country trip to the Grand Canyon. And again in October after that 5,000 mile trip. I am taking a trip to GA & NC in September, so I will probably change the engine oil again, due to mileage and it being another year.

About oil change I own a 2012 Hurricane V-10 Just came back from Florida put 4,550 miles.

My question: Is it better to go to Castro Edge oil Full Synthetic 5-W 30. Total Engine miles 9,200.

Love this site very helpful.

Have coach will travel.

Thank you all so much. My son is "expert" oil changer and said he could do this for us; however, we had been told by several people that you must take into a service center and pay BIG bucks. This is our first RV and were concerned. It's a 2006 Monaco and of course we read the manuals first! (were amazed at how much oil it takes). The manual suggests change every 15,000 miles, but I read out here on the forum that someone suggested changing it every year regardless of mileage.

What I'm really impressed with is that you all took the time to answer. That makes our new adventure feel like we really are traveling with a family! (Left Florida the end of June and are spending the summer visiting family and friends in Michigan before venturing our way back south before the snow flies).

Blessings, Candy

Anyone familiar with changing oil will be able to change your oil. There are no special skills required just because it's an RV. The reason I don't do mine is that it holds about 8 gallons of oil and it's simply difficult to drain, store and dispose of. Otherwise, it's just a matter of ensuring you have the EXACTLY correct oil recommended for your engine by the manufacturer. The generator is much easier as it will contain much less oil (mine is about 2 gallons) so much easier to deal with.

When you change the oil you will also want to change the fuel filter(s) and lube the chassis. The mileage you mention is a pretty common oil change interval but be sure to verify it with some documentation. The yearly oil change is recommended if you are going to store the RV for many months (the whole Winter, etc.) If it will just be sitting a month at a time between trips (full timing) I would be less concerned about the 1 year but it's such a small amount of money compared to everything else that if I was at 7-8000 miles at the end of a year I would likely change it anyway.

About oil change I own a 2012 Hurricane V-10 Just came back from Florida put 4,550 miles.

My question: Is it better to go to Castro Edge oil Full Synthetic 5-W 30. Total Engine miles 9,200.

Love this site very helpful.

Have coach will travel.

I would recommend Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-20. This oil is guaranteed protection for 15,000 miles. You should change your oil according to your owners manual while under warranty.

Bill

I've changed my own oil for years now. With diesel engines there is a lot more oil to deal with and the drain pans typically are too small to take all the oil at once. So there was always a mess to deal with. A couple of years ago I heard about the FUMOTO oil drain valve. It has an arm lever which allows you to drain the oil and then stop when your receptacle is full. I drain my oil from my Journey in about 3 drains. It's slower because the drain valve is not very big, but hey, I'm retired. No muss no fuss. You can find your valve at http://www.fumotousa.com/

Good luck

actionjackson