Sign in to follow this  
Mikebo

Insurance for Personal Mobility Carts

The registration for the 2014 Perry Rally has a note on the bottom saying that personal mobility carts are required to have insurance. Does this mean I need insurance for my wife's mobility scooter?

I believe you're referring to the March 17-20, 2014 Family Reunion, the comment regarding:

"Note for users of personal mobility carts or personal golf carts

Valid insurance is required for use of these types of transport at the Perry event."

It is a bit disconcerting/confusing! Such insurance was NOT, as I recall, required for the last reunion we attended (Madision, Wisc.). I suppose I can check with my insurance agent, but I'm not quite sure what they'll tell me (it's an unlicensed "vehicle," with no title or registration, probably not even a VIN). I HOPE this requirement, at least for "personal mobility carts" being used by those with any sort of physical impairment, can be waived.

We have a Cricket which is not a golf cart or a mobility cart. It is in between. We added it to our home owners policy for about $36 a year.

I believe it is the liability, which I think is on your personal liability coverage on your homeowner's insurance. It may have to be specified in the policy.

If you will check with your homeowner's Insurance company, you will find that you are covered by your HOI for liability as long as you are not on a public street. Good in RV parks, golf courses, on your own property. Ask your agent for a letter from the company explaining this and carry it with you.

Herman

The issue of insurance for personal transportation varies by insurance carrier. Personal mobility devices (one-seat small electric "scooters" designed to transport a disabled person) are generally covered by a Homeowner's policy. Multi-passenger vehicles (Crickets, golf carts, etc. ) are generally considered "RVs" and require a separate policy or an endorsement on one of your other policies.

The reason for the note on the Perry form is to make attendees aware that they may not have the insurance coverage they think they have.

Bottom line, everyone with one of these personal transportation devices needs to check with their insurance agent and verify that the device is covered. Finding out after an accident that you have no liability coverage could be very costly.

Ned Boston

F226166

Chairman, FMCA Risk Management Committee