Sign in to follow this  
LynneCrosby

What Do You Think Of Sprint For Cell Service?

I have been with Verizon for a long time and I am grandfathered in to their unlimited data plan. However, I understand when I upgrade my phone (which will happen soon) I will lose the unlimited plan. Sprint offers unlimited calls, text and data (guaranteed as long as you remain a customer) I am thinking of switching to Sprint but wanted to understand how their coverage is for travelers. Anybody out there use Sprint and are you happy with their service during your travels?

In a word it sucks. My wife has sprint and I have at.&t and I have much better coverage across the US in rural areas. I was thinking of going with verizon when my contract runs out in oct. I have had a few issues with at&t

I swithced from Sprint to Verizon 5 years ago. Sprint's push to talk was great but the cell service sucked then. I switched to Verizon because they offered push to talk, but that portion of Verizon was the pits, but the cell service is far superior to Sprint, and here in Alabama and so far all of the states that I have traveled. Mostly in the eastern portion of the US the service is very good compared to any others.

For my 2 cents worth, Kay

My company in Denver switched from verizon to sprint about two years ago, and we'had continuing problems since. The main problem is that callers call our phones, they hear ringing until it goes to voice mail, but we never hear it ring, and we never show a missed call. We've talked to Sprint, and they blame it on "towers that are being repaired", but we've been hearing this for months, so we are considering going back to verizon.

I have no direct experience with Sprint but I have heard complaints. No service has complete coverage so we hedge our bets. I have Verizon, my wife has AT&T. In general I might say V has better service in the east but we travel Texas quite a bit and V was very poor in much of western Texas. AT&T was better but not great. We will be trying the Wilson Sleek this coming winter and hoping it performs as well as I have heard for boosting cell reception.

I had Sprint for about 8 years on the road. The coverage was fairly good but nowhere comparable to my wife's AT&T coverage. I dropped them after a go-round with customer service which is a complete misnomer. I went with Verizon and gave that up after two years primarily because one of the areas we stay (in the central valley of California where our daughter lives) has really quirky coverage. I can't figure out what the situation is but I couldn't access my voice mail without driving about 30 miles to a larger city. Since we were there often for a month or more, I gave up and am now with AT&T. So far, AT&T is the best of them all. I didn't have data service (smart phone) until I went with AT&T so can't say how the others would perform with data service.

I think it all depends on where you travel. In our case, the best for the areas where we go frequently has worked out to be AT&T. If we had different locations where we stayed we might have a completely different favorite. You can live with occasional short periods out of service but if it is an area where you are frequently then you have to find something that works there.

There is other options that I am sure that you are aware of about your unlimited plan with Verizon. You can buy a phone at full price at the store and not have to give up your unlimited or you can buy a phone from someone and activate it under your number and not have to give up your unlimited. That is what I did at the end of last year.