michaelhillhouse

Cetane Usage or Additive

Has anyone used cetane in the fuel system for diesel engines. They claim to increase fuel mileage by 8%, clean the injectors and lubricates the engine .

My coach is a 99 Safari with a 330 Cat and I wanted to check and see if anyone else has used it.or has any negative response to the product.

Regards,

Michael

Neither Caterpillar nor Cummins say any of their engines need an additive other than for storage (biocide) or use of summer grade fuel in winter (anti-gel).

Can you find them-- sure.

I have used Diesel Kleen when I didn’t have the Cummins additive

http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/html/en/products/fuel/additives/additives.html

Turbo Diesel is OEM Approved.

I am not at home but I do have a link to the cat site where they list their approved fuel conditioner.

I did find this after a little looking.

246-4968 is Cat Diesel Fuel Conditioner . It contains a variety of additives to improve the fuel cetane number, provide corrosion protection, improve fuel stability, and a variety of other benefits. It is intended primarily for areas using diesel fuel that does not meet quality specifications or for customers who want higher cetane or more stable fuel.

343-6210 is Cat Diesel Fuel System Cleaner that was recently released. It is a very effective detergent additive that cleans fuel system deposits. In field testing of this product, Caterpillar did see restored fuel economy from the standpoint of removing injector deposits that were adversely affecting injector performance. In caterpillars view they have not seen a fuel additive that truly improves fuel economy, they at best can restore fuel economy to like-new, which is what we have seen in applications using the Cat Diesel Fuel System Cleaner. But this can be a very significant benefit to an end customer who has fuel system deposits affecting performance.

Bill

And good friend mine runs two Freightliner shops. His candid advice was they are a waste of $, and don't work. The best thing for the fuel system is to fill it before letting it sit to prevent condensation. That works for airplanes too.

Cetane improvers work to help the fuel ignite easier especially in cold weather. Period. When I worked at Fleetguard (Cummins Filtration, now) Cummins took Fleetguard marketing people to task over claims they were making on improved fuel mileage. It is not going to do that. Even though you have some who claim their pet additive brand improved their mileage. The problem with those claims is they are not backed by really solid field test data.