Sign in to follow this  
timdarnell

Motor Home Expectations

Hello

Ok..I am somewhat newer to the Class A RV lifestyle.

I have a 2001 Damon Challenger with 52000 miles.

It runs great! The body is in good condition with no delamination at the exterior. The only problem we have had is the typical decal issue. That was fixed by taking off the decals and polishing. We have had a few minor other issues with rot in the setp-way into the coach but again - easily repaired.... We may also re coat or replace the roof liner. Again, no rot but just maintenance..

The question I have is this. What can be expected (average) for usability as far as miles go before major work may need to be completed. I own my own company and am thinking about putting company decals and re doing the inside of the coach (new flooring and furniture). Maybe spending @$2000 or so for odds and ends.

The coach runs great but I am curious on others thoughts to this.

Thanks again,

Tim

I think your problem will be the age, not the miles. At 12 years old, many things like rubber seals and oxidized electronic connections, etc. are going to become a more persistent problem. None of these are insurmountable, they will just take a bigger bite out of your purse and/or your time for routine maintenance. Appliances are also in this category. You are already seeing some of this with the decals and the entry step.

As far as the engine, transmission and chassis issues, the same kinds of problems will appear. Belts and hoses are at an age where replacement will be necessary. At 12 years old, I would replace any belt or hose that hasn't already been replaced at least once. Depending on conditions of storage when the coach wasn't on the road, you may have some engine and/or chassis issues. (Indoors is much better than outdoors and heated/cooled is even better.) Naturally these will increase with age. They may not be major work issues but the expense may gradually become major. A well maintained gas engine should be good for 200,000 miles before major work is necessary however, those miles are easier on the engine if they come quickly. At 4500 miles a year, there is a lot of time between driving and those down times are hard on an engine. Have you for instance been changing oil every 6 months or every 6000 miles? Most maintenance specifications have a mileage and a time standard. It is easy to let the time standard slip in a vehicle that isn't driven much and the next thing you know it has been a year and a half since the oil has been changed. When the standard is 6 months or 6000 miles (just an example) the phrase that follows is key, "whichever comes first." Many people find it hard to justify the cost of changing oil at 6 months when they have only driven 700 miles. So if your care and maintenance has been excellent you can expect excellent performance from your engine, transmission and chassis components.

Your question about how long depends on many things.

Is your 2001 Daemon Challenger with 52000 miles a diesel pusher, or gas engine? For either, that should be pretty low mileage, But as expected a diesel engine, could be Cummins, Caterpillar, or maybe but not likely a Detroit.

A gasoline engine usually goes 100,000 miles with little to no issues, or even more. A diesel engine can easily go 500,000 miles or more. All things considered, proper maintenance is the key to how much mileage can be expected. Transmissions are likewise a very big issue, but like engines if properly maintained, many more miles can be expected than what you have incurred. All things considered you should be in pretty good shape to go with your plans.

But please remember that this only my thoughts. Keep up the maintenance is the best way of assurance to getting the most of the least. My coach has two million two hundred twenty four thousand miles. Has the third engine and transmission to date, but remember that it was originally a dog then another carrier then mine. I have all of the maintenance records since she was new in 1988.

Good luck and happy trails,

Kay

Tim,

There are a number of variables. At times things go bad even with good service.

The Key item to extending the life of the coach is maintenance, checking the exterior frequently for any sign of a problem, seals and condition of the roof. good old soap and water.

Check the interior often for any sighs of water intrusion around the roof where items are mounted and window seals.

Fix things ASAP!

Changing the oil, filters and fluids at regular intervals, keep track of fluid levels. Oil, filters, grease and fluids are a good investment considering what they protect.

Check the drive train and chassis components on at least a yearly bases.

The number of miles one can expect them to run is tied to how the owner drives them and where.

Must admit that I have driven them into places and locations that some others might even question driving a 4 wheeler. I was a lot younger, but I still push the envelope at times.

You take care of the coach and it will reward you.

Rich.

The engine is a V10
Workhorse chassis
I change all fluids yearly
We put any 4000 to 5000 miles/year.

Thank you for all of the comments. greatly appreciated.

From your advice I think I will change all belts and hoses .....

Tim

The engine is a V10

Work horse chassis

I change all fluids yearly

We put any 4000 to 5000 miles/year.

Thank you for all of the comments. greatly appreciated.

From your advice I think I will change all belts and hoses .....

Tim

V10 is a Ford engine and Workhorse is a Chevy chassis, Perhaps you have a hybrid motorhome ?