Sign in to follow this  
racer478r

Parking Brake Switch

We are on the road now and can't replace switch. With system air at pressure (120#) I engage trans with foot on brake pedal and then disengage air brake. When I let off brake pedal the alarm of air park brake sounds loudly. I have replaced this switch before and has cured problem. The question is can I bypass this by tying two of the three wires together on this switch. Wire colors are green, red, black. I just want to quiet the gong while I am on vac and will repair the correct way when we get home.

thanks in advance, Charlie

Charlie,

Welcome to FMCA!

Could you post the Year, Make, and Model of your coach for the group.

Your post mentioned that you where reading 120lbs. are both gauges reading the same?

Rich.

Charlie, The Buzzer on most of the coaches, goes off when there is an issue with Low Air, Low Coolant, High Water Temp., and low oil.

So make sure everything is OK before disabling the circuit. It is not a switch as you know them, but a Diode array and the only way to silence it is to disconnect the power wire at the buzzer.

Should you disable it then, one needs to be very aware of the status of the above mentioned items.

Red wires at the switch may disable the buzzed, but do the brake lights still work. Any interruptions of the wiring can disable other circuits.

Rich.

Is the Red Bay, in Alabama? Possibly Tiffin motorhomes? Tiffin is the manufacturer of Allegro and other motorhomes. If this the place, I would surely ask them to survey the problem. I live in Alabama, and many rvers use their services for painting and the like.

Good luck,

Kay

We encountered this problem. I've had this "switch" fail before so I had a spare. Stopped and installed a new switch, same alarm. I followed the switch wiring to the alarm and unplugged the switch from the alarm until I could get it fixed. The alarm continued to work for other devices and the brake lights were not affected by doing this. Once this is done, the alarm is quiet but watch your air pressure carefully until you get this fixed properly. I had to give up and turn it over to a shop, I couldn't find the problem. As I recall they found a blown fuse somewhere that was the problem.