Sign in to follow this  
dcochran1167

Best Way E,der, SD Yo Phoenix, AZ

We will be traveling in our 39 ft Motor Home from Box Elder SD and want the best way to get to Phoenix.

We would surely like to avoid as many mountain roads that we can.

Any suggestions.

Thanks.

Linda and Dave

I put your destination into my Garmin Map Source and it plotted the route via I-70 from Denver to eastern Utah and then south from there. I can say without reservation that you don't want to go that way. You are going to have to cross the Rockies somewhere and I have done it many times on I-80, there is a long run westbound downhill into Salt Lake City on I-80 otherwise, there are no extreme elevations nor any steep mountain grades to climb.

The other alternative would be to go to Denver and then take I-25 south to Albuquerque and take I-40 from there. In Arizona take I-17 south to Phoenix. You will have a pass at the southern border of Colorado. Raton is not too bad a pass compared to many Rocky Mountain passes, elevation is just under 8000 feet. You will encounter other long grades but I know of no other way to get through the mountains unless you want to go way out of your way and take I-25 all the way to I-10 and then take I-10 into Phoenix.