Sign in to follow this  
Larry196

Scared The Neighbors

I saw a nice RV coming into the park we are at, I caught thier FMCA number and looked them up here, While they were getting set up I approached them and called them by name, I don't know what happened, they went into thier rig and closed the drapes, every so often I would see them peek out.

After I left, they came back out and finished setting up.

They never did find out how I knew their names, because every time they saw me they would cross the street and look the other way.

I have done this a couple of times, with some strange reactions until I explain how I do it.

Made some good friends too.

Larry

And that's the reason we don't put tags or decals on our vehicles. I personally don't like that FMCA publishes the names with the membership number. But I also don't do FB. Sorry, Larry, but that is a little spooky when someone calls you by name that you don't know. I would prefer you to introduce yourself as another member of FMCA and start a conversation that way.

Life imitates art, Larry! :P

There's a new movie out about a guy who hires a "family" to accompany him on an RV drug-smuggling trip. It's called We're The Millers, and it is supposedly pretty bad. I couldn't help think of it, when you described your experience.

If I may suggest, try introducing yourself before you look up the FMCA number. I imagine the encounters will become much more pleasant, for all parties involved.

Larry,

It is a sign of the times. Everyone is worried about their privacy. No one wants their identity stolen. When someone they don't know comes along and greets them by name they might assume that a con is in the offing. That indeed is one of the cautions we read almost 15 years ago when we first started thinking about RV'ing. The advice was to be cautious about putting your name on your coach or information which may mean that you are a full time RV'er. If you are full time, your coach is likely loaded with goodies and that could set you up as a target for thieves.

As Andy said, introduce yourself and strike up a friendly conversation. Go from there, the FMCA member guide is help in finding those close friends you want to contact, not for surprising unsuspecting members with more information than they may want you to have. I wouldn't want to do anything to discourage people from displaying their FMCA goose egg.

Hi Larry,

I think your approach is a great ice breaker ... Hi Five! My sense is that most RV'ers enjoy the experiences of meeting other people. If I were to experience you coming up to me at an RV Park and addressing me by name, I would be so full of curiosity you would have my undivided attention..... then I would let you help me set up and I'd buy you a beer :) .... unless you looked like Charles Manson.

Now if I were there on a clandestine rendezvous :ph34r: , I might avoid you and go inside and peek through the curtains.

Keep up your spirit of fun and adventure ... you'll make more friends than not. Safe travels!

I guess I agree that what you did might be a little intrusive. "Advance detective work" might seem innocent enough and your intentions were good but few people expect to be greeted by name by a total stranger and they would have to wonder (these days) how in the world you came by that information and what are you going to do with it.

On the other hand I think they over reacted by retreating into their "cave". I would have asked you how the heck you knew my name. The whole experience does make one wonder about displaying the FMCA number since there is a directory available to look up your name, then google your address, etc. etc.

Hmmmmmmmm.........

Don

A bunch of good points. Thanks for the feed back.

Next approch I make I will prep with "I see your an FMCA member"

I have never understood why people put their names and addresses on their coaches. "Joe and Sally Smith, from Upper Salt Flats, Idaho." Anybody cruising the park now knows Joe and Sally aren't home, and if it's a small town, their house would be easy to find...and maybe empty. I maybe wrong, but I think you need a password to get into the membership directory of FMCA.

I have never understood why people put their names and addresses on their coaches. "Joe and Sally Smith, from Upper Salt Flats, Idaho." Anybody cruising the park now knows Joe and Sally aren't home, and if it's a small town, their house would be easy to find...and maybe empty. I maybe wrong, but I think you need a password to get into the membership directory of FMCA.

I think that is a good idea.

Don

Turn about is fair Play.

I just got back from a short trip and was confronted by a new Class A next to me, The guy was out washing his rig and he looked up and said "Hi Larry"

Spent the next 30 min. chatting like we were lifelong bud's.