Sign in to follow this  
Mxgrls

Roadtrek Storage Compartment Repair/Replacement

Someone backed into my 2002 Roadtrek and the fiberglass storage compartment has signficant damage. Wondering about replacement vs repair. Anyone have info or advice?

I'm not sure when you speak of repair or replacement if you are talking about the entire motor home or just repairing or replacing the specific broken compartment.

We had a blow-out that took out the left rear quarter of our motor home last fall. We got recommendation for a good shop and they repaired the damage so that only someone familiar with our coach model would ever know that there was any repair. Fiberglass repair can be done very nicely. The only thing they couldn't duplicate was the grill for the radiator.

If you are thinking about repairing the storage compartment or replacing it, I would find a good shop and then get their advice. Without detailed knowledge of the damage and fiberglass work, I couldn't say one way or another.

If you are thinking of the entire motor home, that is a judgement you would have to make. If the coach has been giving you lots of other mechanical problems you might want a replacement. If the rest of the coach has been giving you very good service, I'd get it repaired.

Mx, Welcome to the Forum.

Sorry for your accident. Tom gives some good advice. If you would like to have your unit repaired, list your location here and you will get some good repair shops in your area.

What did the insurance company estimate the repair cost to be? They may consider it a total and you would have to replace it.

Hope you get it repaired or replaced soon and can get back on the road.

Herman

Thank you for your input. There is body damage to the side panel above the compartment that is certainly repairable and a big hole through the compartment. The compartment had a bit of damage when I bought the vehicle so I would like to get it replaced at this point but fiberglass repair is a possibility. Otherwise the Roadtrek is in very good condition with 43K miles. Damage estimate by insurance was @2K. I'm in Anchorage, AK until the end of Sept., then will be returning home to TX.

MXI'm not too sure you want to return to Texas just yet, still close to 100 each day. But if you can wait til you return and you are close to Denton, TX there is a great shop there. North Texas RV Repair on Hwy 380 West of I-35. They do great work and Ken and Linda are super nice folks.

Herman