windsormonaco

Sofa-Bed Sleeper Uncomfortable

We purchased a year ago a 2001 Monaco Windsor 40-foot diesel pusher with two slideouts. The sofa bed sits on the forward slideout. The sofa is extremely comfortable to sit and I think the previous owner had it recovered in some really soft light tan leather. However, the bed portion sags in the middle with two large adult boys on it. I am wondering if it's just a cheap sofa with a very old mattress or is the whole thing junk.

If it's just the mattress, I don't know how to find a mattress that would work in the sofa. I guess, I could check to see if I can find a manufacturer label on it.

If I decide to replace the whole thing with a more expensive plush sofa with a comfortable mattress, couldn't I just use a nice sofa bed couch in the RV? If so, how does it mount to the floor of the slide-out? I am assuming once I let out the slide, perhaps the mounting bolts will be visible underneath the slideout.

We're very new at this. I am already looking at replacing the tires and will be using the Michelin FMCA program for 6 new tires. Also considering replacing the batteries as we are not sure when they were manufactured. They are Trojans.

Any and all help appreciated. We are in the Grand Prairie/Arlington, Texas area.

windsomonaco,

Take the measurements of the length, width and thickness of the mattress. The look around for a hidabed mattress that might fit the frame.

Should be something on the market and with different firmness numbers.

Rich

winsormonaco,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have a question, not to be a smartalec, but have you ever seen a comfortable hide a bed? The oouch in your coach is made for mounting in a floor. It has a metal frame that is secured to the floor with through bolts. If you raise the couch you should be able to see the mounting bolts. If you can find a replacement couch with a metal frame then it might work. (besides I raised the sons that all grew to over 6 feet tall and they could sleep on any thing, at anytime and any where.)

Herman

When we first had the sofa bed used by friends we later found that the mattress had a air mattress built inside that needed to be filled when in use. Just think how dumb we felt.

We use a memory foam topper when the couch is folded out. During the day we store the topper on the bed in the bedroom. Some times it is a little cumbersome folding the topper and then getting it back to the bedroom, but not that big of a deal - makes a world of difference for the couch bed.

One more small note, I have in the past used a piece of plywood placed over the original couch and then the memory foam topper.

This takes the sag out and like a previous post can be stored out of sight in many other places in the coach.

Kay

We replaced our sleeper sofa mattress with an Air Dream Mattress. I could not believe how absolutely comfortable it is! It has an inflatable air chamber over coils that truely makes this thing feel like a real mattress. If you haven't seen one you can google their website or find them on Amazon.com

I don't know about air mattresses in an RV...as far as I know foam mattresses would be a wise choice. These guys manufacture custom size sofa bed mattresses as well:: replacement-mattress.com, I know that their RV mattress is of heavy duty to resist in the extreme temperature conditions in the camper, don't know about their sofa mattresses (if you like you can contact them, they are very helpful).

Most of the new Flexsteel couches have a mattress that uses air coils that must be pumped up to sleep and blown out to fold. A bit of a pain.

I vote for the Air Dream mentioned above. These are $300 upgrades to $2000 sleeper sofas. Memory foam needs to go on something solid. If you have a sagging mattress that isn't the way to go. You could put plywood on your hide a bed and then the memory topper. We 'store' our topper on our mattress and then put on foldout bed when needed.