Sign in to follow this  
captcurt

Any Merit To This Guide?

This looks like a campground subscription service. If I read this properly they have a network of campgrounds that offer discounts. I don't think your interest in camping in state and national parks self-contained matches what they are offering at all. The Trailer Life Directory covers all types of campgrounds including state and national parks. It also includes national forest and corps of engineers campgrounds. Even this has only campgrounds. If you are looking for places which are totally unhooked, not campgrounds, I know of no resource which lists these places. For these you have to get out and explore.

We recently stopped at a scenic rest area on I-70 in Utah. It was well off the highway so the noise from the road was minimal. After the sun set, we were there with only a few trucks through the night. I got some great sunset photos and the stars were spectacular! We left the next morning after having a nice breakfast and enjoying the sunrise from our scenic vista. We've also seen, but not stayed at coastal parking areas along US Hwy 1 in California. We've seen people parked at these spots for days. Some states like Oregon don't allow this. As you travel you may find other areas where you can stay for a while in non-parks. The whole area around Quartzite in W Arizona on I-10 is known for this kind of camping. Some people spend months in the winter parked in the desert on Bureau of Land Management (BLM) ground for something like $250 for the season.

I would not use this service. They offer nothing but info you can find elsewhere. They may just give you lists of things like Good sam or FMCA parks. Ask them what parks offer discounts THEY have negotiated, WE are Thousand Trails members and also use Passport America and we never had problems finding camps at good prices.

Paul