Getting ready to go on a trip and when I went out to the coach this morning to check the refrigerator I found the steps out and won't retract . I even started her up to make sure that the voltage was OK with the system, I just put in a new motor and controller about a month ago and has been working perfectly fine until this morning.

I am at wit's end with this coach; always seems to be something wrong with her. So far last month I've spent over $2,500 getting the things repaired like the elect steps and dash air.

With further inspection I found that the magnetic switch is not making contact . I can take a magnet and the door will close, but when I take the magnet off, it remains open. The coach is a Safari Zanzibar and I can no longer get parts for them .

Any Suggestions?

Regards,

Michael

Michael,

Come to Durant for our Rally Sept. 19-20-21 and I will check out your step and loan you a step stool if we can't get it fixed.

Herman

Herman,

Thanks for the offer but we'll be in Indiana that weekend. I will be at the Six State rally in MO. the week before.

It did turn out to be the magnetic switch that caused the problem. I took a magnet out of one of my screw drivers and inserted it in the plastic housing and stuffed it full of paper to wedge the magnet toward the sensor. It is working fine now and will check some of the larger dealers to see if anyone has a switch that I can modify to work .

Thanks for the reply

regards,

Michael

Michael, look around and electronics store. Radio Shack or similar outlets.

Magnetic reed switch(s) and see if one might work. Needs to be closed when the magnet is present, open when clear of the magnet.

A little double sided tape will work wonders!

Rich.

Had a similar problem and found that the magnetic strip attached to the screen door had broken off. Any rv parts store can fix you up. be sure of the color though, white or black, they are different. Meanwhile, go underneath your coach and and look for the electrical connection, and disconnect it. that should retract it. Good luck

Go to Home Depot, a very large selection of magnets are available. I chose a couple of packages, decided which one to use

and made a bracket to fit it to my door (04 Dutchstar). It covered the existing hole, but has been working since and for around $5.

Good luck.

I used to use Velcro on my magnet until I found the real problem. The fuse was blown underneath the steps. There is a 5amp enclosed fuse container there.

Changed the fuse, now the steps work like a charm.