Monkeyrun

Rear Video Camera Upgrade, Looking For Advice

My 1999 Allegro has a black-and-white rear video setup that is quite difficult to use. Everything being shades of gray make my gravel driveway look pretty much like the rest of the lawn.

What would you folks recommend as the best replacement cost vs. usability? This will be one of many projects I plan on doing over the winter.

Thanks in advance!

Don't assume that your current wiring won't work with a newer camera and monitor. Might need adapters at both ends, but that is almost a non-issue.

When discussing cameras and/or monitors KNOW what wiring you have from front to back and ask if the new components are compatible with your existing wiring.

That is a good point wolfe 10, I shall check it out prior to purchasing any new components. My camera is one those which appears "integrated" into the rear of the vehicle, so that is another concern.

I have the same problem with my b/w camera, all gray when backing up. Objects come out fine but thats it.

I have a 2001 Beaver and not sure how well our floorplans line up but commonly there is a camera access panel high in the back of the wardrobe closet. If you don't have the bedroom slide it is probably under the fascia above your headboard.

Knowing the connections is important. I would invest a good bit of time getting to the camera before buying anything. Is your monitor in the dash or above it? Mine is mounted to the bottom of the TV which is above my head. If I ever change to a color system that will be a fun mod!

Good luck,

Steve

The camera is mounted to the rear "cap" so I'm uncertain whether there is access from the inside because there is a pretty good distance between the rear wall of the bedroom and the cap but I'll check once I get it back. If that is the case, the job will be easier than I anticipated. The good news is that my mechanic has been working on my coach off and on since last Thursday and so far he says everything is in great shape. He ordered the kit for the air dryer along with some other filters and once they arrive he is going to finish it up including the internal transmission filter and fluid.

If shopping online be advised when looking at add-on camera's read fine print about RGB lines or other "scales" to aid in backing up.

ALL color camera's with Red Green Blue lines I have seen and used were too bright and hindered the use of camera.

Make sure to get one w/o those "helpful aids."

Thank you Teddy, I will check it out. My main concern is the wiring as that would be a real pain to replace.

Hey, Monkeyrun, I have this same condition. I also have information. Have you solved this opportunity ??

I put in a Tadi brothers system with side cameras and a double rear camera, all displayed on a 7" screen. It works well, but the rear camera signal amplifiers had to be replaced for beefier ones as I got very intermittent signals with the standard amplifiers. Be careful of the order you plug in the camera's as you can blow the amplifier.

I fitted a Brigade Camera system on our Damon Daybreak. Colour screen and sound. I bought cheap before that and I might as well not bothered at all. Not sure if Brigade is available in the USA but any commercial grade backup system should be fine. My system cost £400 - $640 but the screen can take up to 3 cameras so I can expand the system in the future if I want to.

I am beginning to make this change as well and it appears in a 2001 Safari Zanzibar the access to the rear camera is in the cabinetry box that also contains the 120 electrical breaker panel and 12 volt fuse panel located in the bedroom closet dead center at roof level.