lylefikse

A/C Bogging Down At Start

I have noticed at some campgrounds lately that when our AC kicks on, it sounds like it is not getting enough power to start. Starts to kick on but the fan doesn't start. If I grab the remote and change the setting from auto to fan (slow or high) it starts right up. Then you can hear the compressor start a few minutes later. Has happened on both 50 and 30 amp service. We have two AC units but only run one when on 30 amp service. The low power situation does not kick off the power at our Progressive Industries surge protector. We don't have the remote read out on the surge protector so not sure what it reads when this happens. Suggested causes? This has happened with both AC units, not just one of them. Most of the time they work great. Only a problem once in a while.

Lyle,

If voltage does not drop below 108 VAC, let's look at the A/C.

You will need to go on the room (if you can do that safely). With power to coach off, remove cover to the A/C. Make sure fan spins freely. Open the "electrical area" and make sure the capacitors have not leaked and are not deformed. Check connections-- clearly it is voltage at the A/C that you need, so a loose connection can cause a problem. If these things are good, the start capacitor is the likely suspect.

I use a 110 volt line meter that plugs into any AC outlet. It reads the voltage and frequency alternately, so it works on shore power and when the generator is running I can check the frequency and voltage at a glance. The shore power reading at my 30 amp plug varies from 118 down to 112 volts during hot weather inside the coach.

We tend to keep it at one of the kitchen outlets where it stands out and remove it when its in the way.

They are sold at a number of locations in there electrical dept.

Rich.

A little absentminded !? I forgot to mention that at campgrounds it reads as low as 109, below that it alarms low voltage and has had readings of 121 volts on the high side.

Thanks for quick responses. Both working fine in the campground we are in tonight. Hope it continues as we will be here for 2 weeks. If problem continues, Brett, I will try your suggestion when we get home.

Dometic makes an add on unit that is I think called a Safe Start box. What it does is reduce the initial high amperage draw from the compressor when the unit kicks in. It slowly allows the amperage to increase while starting and therefor does not cause the surge that sometimes kicks the breaker in iffy voltage situations. I have installed these units on my boat which has three AC units, and they work like a charm. No more breaker kicking off.