mlmacchia

Need New Tires...Crazy Idea: 14" Wide Rear Wheels?

2005 Coachmen 380D, diesel pusher, looking to replace the tires before next season. Currently running 275 80R 22.5's on 10-lug steel wheels with the fake wheelcovers. When I change the tires, I was considering replacing 4 of the wheels (front and outside rears) with forged aluminum wheels to save a little weight & upgrade the rig.

Then a wild thought popped into my head...how about the 14" wide-base wheels & tires to replace the rear duals? I'm sure many of you have seen tractor-trailers on the road with the single wide rear wheels in place of the duals...I'm wondering if they would (a) work in an RV application and ( B) not look stupid.

This coach does NOT have a tag axle, so we're talking factory configuration of 2 front wheels and 4 rear.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Matt

Have you checked the prices? Super Single wheels will run you around $1000 each and up; then the tires are in the $1000 range as well. Once you have them mounted, if you have a tire problem on the road you can expect to wait over 8 hours for help because not many tire shops stock them. If you can live with that you should consider what truck drivers say about them: I know very few drivers who think much about them for over the road driving.

There is one, if not two guys running super singles on Tiffin RV's. I have seen there postings on the Tiffin RV Network where they just mention they have them installed. I have been reading that forum almost daily since we bought our Tiffin Bus 4 years ago; so far have not seen any pro's or con's from guys driving them. You might join and post the question over there. One of the super single guys is an avid poster. Very knowledgeable also. Richard

I see no meaningful advantage to switching from duals to singles. I do see many downsides.

BUT if you like the looks and the cost isn't a consideration I have no technical problem with people modifying their RV with this change as long as the load capacity of the vehicle are covered.

Have you considered getting your wheels gold plated? :rolleyes: Sure would be distinctive.

Just be sure you understand all the consequences.

I agree, No real advantages, also the axle hubs and bearings are different due to the load displacement on the axle hubs with the singles. I just went throught this at work with changing a tractor over to singles. A regular dual wheel combo has one wheel riding to the inside of the hub center and the other wheel is on the outside of the hub center which displaces the weight evenly over both bearings and across the hub. The single wheel places the load all to the outer bearing, this is the reason for the special hubs and bearings to handle the weight imbalance, most trucks when this option is ordered also changes the axle tube strength for additional support. The main concern I have is once you have a flat you have to stop and stay there until help arrives, there is no "limping it" to a safe place without destroying a wheel.

The super singles started showing up on tractor trailers quite awhile back. They have not gained wide spread acceptance. The big fleets have thousands of tractors and trailers and if it was a good idea, the fleet managers would have speced them on most of their rigs by now. It has not happened. You see them , but not very often. I wouldn't touch'em because of cost to convert and inability to limp to a tire center or home. I did not know about bearing load considerations . Another reason to stay away

The super singles started showing up on tractor trailers quite awhile back. They have not gained wide spread acceptance. The big fleets have thousands of tractors and trailers and if it was a good idea, the fleet managers would have speced them on most of their rigs by now. It has not happened. You see them , but not very often. I wouldn't touch'em because of cost to convert and inability to limp to a tire center or home. I did not know about bearing load considerations . Another reason to stay away

How are you going to limp if it is a flat on the front?

Bill

How are you going to limp if it is a flat on the front?

Bill

If it is a dire emergency it is possible to take one of the rear outer duals and use it on the front.

If it is a dire emergency it is possible to take one of the rear outer duals and use it on the front.

I call Coach net. I think if you do a little searching you will find driving with all the weight on one duel will damage the good tier and need to be replaced to.

Bill

Not to draw flames, but as a trucker I had to do it a number of times, especially before the country was wired for cell phones. Don't recall damaging a tire in the process. If I was really heavy I tried to get to a phone to call for help.

The concept of "limping" on one of a pair of duals if you have one dual fail, seems reasonable unless you ask yourself about essentially destroying the 2nd tire.

Now it's important to remember that if you have a dual fail and were not running a TPMS, so you were alerted to stop as soon as one tire started to loose air, in all probability you have done significant damage to what was the tire that did not initially fail. The tire that still has air cannot properly support the 100% overload and driving at any speed much over 2 mph will result in damage that will eventually prove "fatal" to that tire.

While there are some situations where the importance of getting to a safer location is more important that the cost of a tire, it's just important that you understand the consequences of your decisions.