Sign in to follow this  
modemem

Reserve Or Not?

Chris and I will be going to Florida and/or the Gulf Coast as snowbirds this Winter. As newbies we welcome all advice and suggestionse. I'm more in favor of making reservations but the DW would rather move around more freely. What are your expieriences and suggestions? We only have one trip under our belts which was a week stay in Newport News/Virginia Beach area which by the way traveling from KY over I-64 at night towing our Jeep was an excellent learning expierience. Thanks guy and gals in advance. We will be leaving KY in Jan and returning Mar or Apr.

P.S. I guess there is no way around winterizing the Vision and then de-winterizing once we are in the South.

My preference is to go the first time with the idea of checking out several places. Our first year out we went to San Antonio. I was there in the Army and enjoyed my time in the town so I thought it might be a good place to stay. We booked into a campground just north of San Antonio for one month and enjoyed exploring the town and surrounding area. By the end of December we had gone through a 40 gallon tank of propane and we both wanted warmer weather for the winter if we could find it. So we headed south to the "Valley." A lady at a campground in Houston had given us the sales pitch for the Rio Grande Valley. We thought we would give it a try. We went to a park that looked interesting and found a very friendly welcome. People went out of their way to be friendly. Louise asked what the policy was for picking the abundant fruit (oranges and grapefruit) in the park. Before we got back to the coach there was a bag of fruit on the stairs waiting for us. I got an invite to play tennis the next morning. By the end of the week we booked in for a month and then another month. We had to leave in March but we returned the next fall and have been coming back ever since. Everyone has some idea of what they want in a park. Some parks have big dance halls. Others have regular plays with opportunities for Hollywood wannabees. There are parks with rock and gem clubs and others with complete woodworking shops. Some have it all and others are quite quiet with few organized activities. If you are lucky, you will find a park that suits you this year and you can make season long reservations next year.

Welcome to Florida! I'd like to recommend Turtle Beach Campground in Sarasota, FL. It is a "tiny", county RV park and one of the few with reasonable prices, right on the beach. We often go during the summer, when rates are between $32 and $42 for full hook-up. Winter rates are between $45 and $60. The rate depends on how close you are to the beach, however, with only 44 sites (22 on each side) how far can you be? This is no fancy resort... just a beautiful place close to the water. You can "look" at the beach by going to their live camera on their site: www.scgov.net/turtlebeachcampground . On the way down the Florida Coast, spend a day or two at the Rainbow Springs State Park. It is one of the most beautiful in the area.

Enjoy your trip!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

My preference is to go the first time with the idea of checking out several places.

Thanks Tom, I think we will make one reservation for our first stop and then take it week by week after that.

Welcome to Florida! I'd like to recommend Turtle Beach Campground in Sarasota, FL. It is a "tiny", county RV park and one of the few with reasonable prices, right on the beach. We often go during the summer, when rates are between $32 and $42 for full hook-up. Winter rates are between $45 and $60. The rate depends on how close you are to the beach, however, with only 44 sites (22 on each side) how far can you be? This is no fancy resort... just a beautiful place close to the water. You can "look" at the beach by going to their live camera on their site: www.scgov.net/turtlebeachcampground . On the way down the Florida Coast, spend a day or two at the Rainbow Springs State Park. It is one of the most beautiful in the area.

Enjoy your trip!

Jocelynn and Quico Power

Gainesville, FL

I put Turtle Beach in my favorites a month ago and will probably try it for a week or more. Thanks guys.

If you are coming down I65, then 231,towards the Fla. Panhandle, just before Troy Al., there is very nice campground named Deer Run. I've never had to make reservations there. It is a friendly cg and makes for very convenient way to break up the trip. If you want to take the scenic route to further south, it is almost always necessary to reserve at St. George Island, State Park.

This is a very good campground near Apalachicola Fla.. The seafood including oysters are some of the best that you can find anywhere. Just a couple observations on my part, hope you have a wonderful stay in Fla.

Happy trails,

Kay

Bill and Christine,

I would remind you that you are coming at prime "snowbird" season in Florida. That means you might want to consider some reservations just to make sure you have a place when you arrive.

Then scope other places out nearby like Tom Butler suggested.

Enjoy your travels.

I was going to say this is prime time in Fl. I would be hesitant to do it all without reservations. Good luck. There are many of us going to Fl. for the winter. I know I got the last seasonal spot in Ocala Sun RV Resort. My plan is to spend the 6 months seeing the sights, including visiting other resorts for future use. In this way I'm assured a site while looking.