bowtorc

Generator Won't Stay Running

I have a Onan Emerald generator that will start and run as long as you hold the inside or outside start button but dies as soon as you release the button.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bowtorc, Welcome to FMCA !

Could you post the year, model number of you generator and if its Gas or LP.

What is the oil level in your generator? To much or to little will cause a shutdown.

You did not mention if you unit set any fault codes.

Rich.

It could be the voltage regulator. We have replaced quite a number of them in our Onan shop in the past. I even had to change one on my own Emerald.

Shell925,

With the information you supplied, I would check the start switch inside the coach. The external and internal ones are in parallel and there is very little else in the circuit.

I will look and see if by chance I have the wiring information on your coach. There are differences in the wiring, but in this case most generator starting circuits are wired the same. Now, how they route the wires, that is a totally different story !!

One question, Can you stop the generator from inside the coach?

Rich.

Yes, I can stop it inside the coach after being started outside. Thanks for your help. I just did not want to buy a bunch of parts I don't needed trying to trouble shoot the problem.

Shell925,

This is the link to a PDF copy of your owners manual. Kind of handy to have on you computer. It is a much quicker reference then digging through the hard copy. Only drawback is one can not make notes along the margins !

I see there is some real good information on the fuse and relay panels, but really nothing regarding the Generator.

I will look for some information regarding the generator.

http://thormotorcoach.com/media/documents/2005-Mandalay-Owners-Manual.pdf

Rich.

Besides refrigerator problems, I have a 2.8 Onan generator. It did work when i bought the 1990 Toyota mini RV.

Now it starts runs 30-90 seconds then stops. It will start right away but then dies right after starting.

I have changed oil(10w30) NEW AIR FILTER, AND NEW FUEL filter. The generator has almost 600 hrs. on it.

None of this helped it to keep running. Is there a fuel pump?

Thanks for any help.

Patsy,

How long since it has run successfully?

When you remove the air cleaner, and try to start, does the gasoline spell like gasoline or like it has "turned"? Small carburetors are very easy to clog if the gas sits in them for a long time.

Hi,

I have not tried the starting without filter in. It could be a carburetor problems because I use the generator so seldom but I am aware that one is suppose to start and run under load for 20 minutes once a month. Cannot do now. It did run last year doing the 20 min run.

Would a can of fuel cleaner work?

I am thinking about having it removed.

I have a 135 watt solar on roof.

I had the running and arbitrarily shutting down problem with my Onan quiet diesel genset a few years ago. I resolved the issue when I located a loose negative (ground) cable at one of the house batteries. I cleaned and tightened the connection and haven't had a problem (with that) since.

Patsy613, if your genset hasn't operated since last year, you may have several reasons/causes for it not operating now. Fuel, electric/electronic, connections, etc. Its very important to run 2 hours monthly if at all possible and it should be under 50% load-or at least that's what my manual recommends.

Good luck!