ronnieandcherylwinstead

Trip To The Keys In October

My husband and I are planning a trip to go to Everglades and visit the Keys. We would like to base our RV possibly in Key Largo. Wondering about driving it further down onto the other Keys or are we better to camp there and take day trips in our tow jeep? Please advise of some good clean reputable resorts that we could stay. It's our first trip to the Florida Keys. We have never ventured further south than Orlando area.

Whatever you do, just don't stay at Pennekamp SP. It is called "mosquito land" and the beach is very shelly/rocky. I have not being to others, but have heard that Bahia Honda is beautiful, thou hard to get sites. From Key Largo to Key West, there are 100 miles and at most of them you have to drive at 35 MPH... maybe at some up to 50MPH.

The keys are beautiful....Safe travels!

Jocelynn W Power

Hi Ronnie and Cheryl

Thought I'd offer some info on the Florida Keys, since we live here. The chain is approximately 110 miles long. If the highway was an interstate, it would take about two hours to get from Key Largo to Key West. Unfortunately, most of it is two lanes and average speed is 45 mph or less. I mention this because even though day trips in your tow would be an option, I think you'll find that they would make for some really long days. Key Largo is at the upper end and Key West is at the lower end, with 100 miles between them.

John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park is in Key Largo at approximately MM 102.5. It offers pull-in sites which were recently renovated. It also offers dive trips, glass-bottom boat rides and boat rentals. Tel. (305) 451-1202 http://www.floridastateparks.org/pennekamp/

A second RV sight is located at MM 97, also in Key Largo. (305) 852-8481 http://www.carefreervresorts.com/rv-parks/florida/riptide/

There are several others in the area, but none that I'd recommend.

I'd offer this also. After your trip to the Everglades, spend a day or two in the upper keys, then relocate to the mid or lower keys, possibly spending some time in Marathon, at Knights Key Campground. From there you're only about one hour from Key West and one hour from Key Largo. (800) 348-2267 http://knightskeyrvresortandmarina.com/

Another point, Fantasy Fest happens in Key West during the last week of October. The island population explodes during that week long event, and rooms and RV sites will be at a premium. The Saturday night parade is the highlight of the event, but it is not for the "faint-of-heart". It involves nudity and is adult oriented. I would not recommend taking children to the parade.

Kathy and I recently spent one night at Boyds Campground in Key West. One night at Boyds during "normal" times is $93.00. Fantasy Fest rates will be higher and usually requires a 3 or 4 day minimum stay. Boyds Campground is very nice, but very expensive. (305) 294-1465 http://www.boydscampground.com/%C2'>

I hope this was some help to you. If you need additional help or info please email me at: skiff18@bellsouth.net

Have fun! Steve

Hi Ronnie and Cheryl

I have to agree with everything that Steve said. We have started snow birding in South Florida each winter. With us, money is a big issue and the prices on the keys are high. We stay on the mainland at the entrance to the Keys for less than half the price of the Keys. We have Everglades National Park to the west, Biscayne National Park to the east, and Miami an hour to the north. We tow our Saturn Ion and we frequently use it go to lunch in Key Largo and we take several -long- day trips to Key West (2 1/2 hours each way) during our stay. Steve's suggestion of spending some time in the upper keys and then relocating to the lower keys is excellent if you can do it. However, be careful to check lot size. Many of the parks I've seen on the keys have extremely tight sites. Good luck, enjoy!

Jim

Any new recommendations for Key West?

We are considering a trip next summer and I have been searching the web trying to find that perfect place.

Full hook ups are a requirement, great view and some activities for the teens would be a bonus.

I have looked at Boyd's and Blue Water. Since it is a family vacation I would spend the extra to camp like a king for a few days.

On the days of rest it would be nice to have some activities to keep the teens occupied.

Retired and active duty military can stay very cheaply at Naval Air Station Key West Sigsbee and Trembo Annex.

A Wannabe. Only one time on the Keys and it was in an 18wheeler. I delivered to the Naval station in Key West that was built in the 1800's. The Joint Interagency Task Force (drug interdiction) had an operation there and I have the cap to prove it, courtesy of the ranking CPO. I remember old Florida from the 60's and the Keys are it. When I delivered, I was hoping for no load northbound right away. Spotted accommodations on the way into town where I could have parked, and found a room. Alas, dispatch needed me to head to the mainland for a back haul the next day. I would enjoy taking our Phaeton there for a second chance. Good luck to you headed that way.

I looked through all of the reviews and the posts on here and decided on two. Either Blue Water Key or Point of View in Key Largo, I will let the wife make the decision, my guess will be Point of View so she doesn't have to go over the long bridge :) .

Long way to Key West from Key Largo, but you don't have to go all of the way. Looked like there was a lot to see and fish in between.

....my guess will be Point of View so she doesn't have to go over the long bridge :) .

You'll be missing quite a treat! The 7 mile bridge is usually the highlight of the drive. Makes us feel like we have finally arrived! Such a beautiful view, I wouldn't want to miss it at all.

She hates bridges and water, that combination won't sit well for her.

We will see how the rest of the year goes and if the kids talk her into it.

You have the perfect Colorado Rocky Mountains wife. Head west. The youngsters can Kayak on the Arkansas River while your DW looks out for them and you can wait in the Boat House Pub in Salida for their return. Food and beer is really good, and the ambience is special.

Don't know if you've already visited or have made plans, but we just returned from Key Largo and stayed at a new spot that was GREAT.  Keys Palms RV is a relatively small but fantastic, clean,friendly staff and out of site views!  Give them a try... we'll be back again I know.

IMG_5815.JPG

4 hours ago, manholt said:

The same goes for Texas Coastal east of Corpus Christi to Cameron, LA.  Also Alabama Shore & Coastal Miss.

I booked for Corpus Christi for mid January and they didn't mention any flooding or problem there.   

Ray,

I would certainly invest in a phone call to ask the question.  Corpus was just on the dry side of Harvey-- Rockport took the brunt of landfall. 

Then it "wandered" north and stalled, dumping 50+" of rain on the Houston metro.

22 hours ago, teryl1949 said:

Don't know if you've already visited or have made plans, but we just returned from Key Largo and stayed at a new spot that was GREAT.  Keys Palms RV is a relatively small but fantastic, clean,friendly staff and out of site views!  Give them a try... we'll be back again I know.

IMG_5815.JPG

Great site and view. thanks for the information.

Joe.  All next week, you need to look at that picture!  Think 80 degrees, 10-15mph breeze and a cold glass of whatever! :D