billybuk

Repairing A TPO Roof

I have a Thermoplastic Olefin (TPO) roof that has cracks in the caulking around the vents and A/C. There have been no leaks as yet, but and I want to correct this condition prior to winter.

Should I scrap off excess caulking and use a 3- or 4-inch tape or just replace the caulking?

Also, I want to clean the roof to eliminate the gray streaks and put on a protective coating. Any suggestions on products and procedures would be welcome. Thanks.

Billybuk

Ok, Billy. Here is ten cents worth of ''worthless information'' ...

First of all, I am not sure exactly what a TPO roof is. My coach, a 2000 Pace Arrow, has a rubber roof on it. As you see, the roof is approaching 10 years old and that is supposed to be the life expediency of the roof.

I found a product advertised in FMC magazine. I left a link on here asking if anyone had ever used it and apparently no one has or they won't say so. Anyhow, here is the link so you can read about it and see if it will solve your problem.

http://www.flatroofsolutions.com/RV%20Info.php

If it works, you owe me ten cents and you can pay me the next time you see me and remember this ... IF IT DONT WORK FOR YOU ... I DONT KNOW YOU ... LOL ... I have not tried it yet but I will order it and put it on before going to Florida this year. If you try it and it works LET ME KNOW.

Seajay the sailor man

Billy,

Best advice is to call the manufacturer of your roof material and ask for THEIR advice on both product and technique for re-sealing around the vents.

Not sure about calking around the A/C. A/C's are normally installed using a semi-crushable foam gasket, not calking.

Brett Wolfe