J79Engine

ABS System Warning Light Lit On Panel

I have a 2005 SunVoyager 8.1 gas Workhorse chassis which just came back from the dealer and I started showing the ABS light on the panel. I plugged in my code reader but it showed zero codes. I pushed the clear button any way but it did nothing.

Any suggestions as to what could be causing the ABS warning light to stay on steady? I did not ask for any work to be done it was in for a sky light replacement when a tree limb split it because the tree limb was too low over the main road to my neighborhood. We plan to drive it up to the Indiana Glamarama Rally in a few weeks but don't know if I should just ignore that ABS light for now if I can not find the cause?

J79Engine,

Hey welcome to FMCA,

I would take a look at the wheel sensors at the point they are mounted into the hubs. Any rust in that location, will lift the pickup coil(s) just ever so slightly away from the pulse ring in the bearing Assembly and at low wheel RPM's of the wheels that reduces the pulse amplitude enough to activate the system.

Now, the other item that can set them off is if the connections get wet or oxidized.

Most likely a dealer will want to sell you new parts and in most cases that is not necessary.

Got to ask if your ABS pump energizes when you slow down?

Keep us in the loop as there is a fix for the problem if indeed it is the wheel rotation sensors.

Rich.

Note, it is not a good idea to ignore the ABS, it is a real issue to stop a coach if the pulsing pump starts to run because the system thinks the wheels are sliding !!!!!!

Rich,

Thanks, you were correct. I took it in to the dealer and he found a bad sensor on the rear wheel, said he had to order one as they did not have it in stock. Hope they get it quickly as we are going out next Wednesday, 17th to the Glamarama 2013 in Goshen Indiana. They also found the motor battery almost dead again, lucky it is on them. They replaced it a week ago after I asked them to check the wiring from the starter solenoid or to the battery because the battery that was in there for under two years went dead. I also told them the rocker switch in the step well would not turn off. They said they replaced the switch and replaced the battery which they prorated the cost with no labor charge. So Friday I told them they should re check what they did to ensure there was not a short in there some where. They told me the batteries are stored dry in their parts department so most likely I just got a bad battery from them. Time will tell! However I turned off the battery as soon as I got parked at home so whatever caused the battery to die it did it fast over a 35 minute drive from the dealer to my house. I really hope they get this done before Friday.

I also told them they had a rodent problem as I discovered a mouse nest made from insulation in my storage area. They told me they knew because there is a land fill just across the street from them. They suggested I place dryer sheets in every storage area because mice apparently don't like the smell of them and avoid the MH when lined with them. He said they have a couple of customers who bring their MH in with fresh dryer sheets each time there is work to be done. Two years ago I had to replace 8 wires up over the entry door which were found during a installation of our satellite dish wiring running to the TV.

J79Engine, sent you a PM.

Rich.

Guess I am too new, don't know where to look for a PM and it does not jump out at me!

I did get the MH back yesterday. They replaced the right rear speed sensor and said the system was checked as working now $167 total cost. They also replaced the chassis battery which powers the starter on our 8.1 gas which they replaced a week ago but when checked after a 15 mile round trip was not charge above 25%. They said that was the reason for slow cranking... and replaced at the battery at their expense. I am not convinced, jury is still out. The engine has never cranked above slow like it is about out of power except when I over ride with the other two batteries then it starts fast like I think it should all the time. This has been a on going crank problem since I purchased it in 2011. I am glad I have the battery over ride crank power it makes me feel safer like carrying a jumper battery. I would like to know if it is normal for the engine to just barely crank over until it starts about 5-10 seconds or if it should turn over like all other vehicles, much faster? I know this is kind of off the original topic but same MH.

A properly charged battery should spin the engine effortlessly in 70 degree weather. And slower of course in colder weather.

Double check all of your dash switches the see if you left something on, such as your heated mirror switch. The fact your battery went dead in a relatively short drive would indicate a large drain on the battery or something else, such as the alternator not charging the battery at all, as indicated on your statement about a 25% charge. The alternator should also be charging the house batteries. Are they going flat as well?

I'd test the alternator as well as the any solenoid relays between the house and chassis batteries if you do not see any switches in the dash area that are turned on.

If you have a PM (private message), the envelope icon at the top right of the page will have a number in it. Click on the icon.

Brett

Well I spent the entire weekend sprucing up the MH to get ready for the rally and leaving on Tuesday early. As I stated earlier I got the MH back from the dealer where he replaced the ABS speed sensor on the right rear wheel and he found what they though was a bad battery which they changed at their expense!

Well the battery or system died on me at the gas pump on Saturday and I had to use the over ride to start it. So the remainder of the weekend was dictated to washing the coach and then trouble shooting it myself to find the problem which was hanging around for two years and three batteries. So I got the meters out checking the load at the battery and at the starter connection. I found the battery to have 12.7 volts so it was good, put a load meter on it and it had 1,000 cranking Amps so it was real good. So I removed the cables from the battery which the dealer had to have dome when they replaced the battery three times. To my surprise the bolts were totally corroded as was the ground cable connection. So I went and purchased new battery connection bolts/studs and wire brushed the ground lead then put it all back together. I though that would make a difference because electricity when faced with rusty contacts it sees it as a barrier which it does not flow through easy.

When I turned the ignition key the engine fired up like it was supposed to and proved that all this time I just had a bad lazy or non trained mechanic at the dealers making the same mistake every time the coach was brought in for slow starting...One never knows who is working on the coach when you turn it in to the dealer for repairs. My Bad for allowing it to go on this long before checking it myself but lesson learned to know what the problem is before you get it repaired if possible. In this case I would have saved us allot of time and stress now that I know it was minor maintenance but the goal of getting it ready by today drove me to forget my age and just investigate or trouble shoot the coach myself.

Mike S. USAF Ret. 89

Mike! Good to know all is well !

Another good testament on checking for good connections and grounds and a good idea of what the problem might be, if one has work done on the coach.

Thanks for your service !

Rich.

The ABS system light illuminated again after two years of trouble free. However it went out and stayed out once I got on the highway. I think it may have been heavy rain and dampness that turned the sensor signal on, so I'll just watch to see if it happens again.

Hard to locate a Workhorse authorized dealer or garage in the Cincinnati area that will take ownership of support.