Sign in to follow this  
rfox54

RV Parks in New Braunfels, TX

I.m looking for a suggestion for a good RV park in New Braunfels, TX. I've read mixed reviews on most I can find. Some list train and highway noise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have stayed at Hill Country RV Park a couple of times when visiting our son and his family. It is close to I-35 (exit 184 I think), nice park, and the people are friendly. It usually has some winter Texans later in the fall. Enjoy!!

Wow, this cannot be a coincidence. We also are planning on our first Winter Texan experience. We were thinking the Valley was too far south to drive from Ohio. We were looking at the area between Austin, TX and San Antonio, TX, one of our questions was will it be warm enough for January and February???? We will be watching for comments under the New Braunfels, TX questions. New Braunfels is one of the towns we had under consideration.

Thanks for any help.

I stayed two weeks at Hill Country around the middle of January 2013 & just reviewed my notes from the stay. It was nice (had a lot of 80 degree days). I had spent the previous week in San Antonio and it was cold. When I pulled out of HIll Country, I moved over to Kerrville for a couple weeks and it was windy & cool. For the most part the days are pretty nice, but there are some cool mornings.

Weather in central Texas that time of year varies over a very wide range. You can get (very rare) temperatures below freezing and temperatures in the 80's. Depends on whether as cold front has moved through. Went to school in Austin, just a few miles from the area you are considering.

For warmer temperatures, move south-- perhaps the Rio Grande Valley. Basic mantra-- if an orange tree is happy I am happy. And there are a lot of orange trees in the Texas Rio Grande Valley.

Brett

Stone Creek RV park in Shertz, exit 177. We were there 3 weeks ago. Pools, two dog parks, no trains and far enough from I35 to not hear it. We fit easily with 40' MH and toad.

About 10 miles outside New Braunfels is Lazy L&L campground. About 30 winter texans stayed there last winter. Many deer are present daily and area is rural. Very pretty drive to New Braunfels, along River Rd. Difference of Texas Hill country vs. Valley, is night and day. Yes, Valley is the winter texans mecca and as such offers very large campgrounds with many activities. Hill country is scenic and full of wildlife.

Just to add to what Wolfe 10 said, winter fronts will come through and usually gone in 2-3 days. Most days will have a high around 60-65 degrees with some up near 80. One must understand that winter to us is more like fall time to those from northern states. I live in Houston area so I welcome the winter very much. Just need to point out that liking winter does not include a winter of snow and freezing temps.lol

If trout fishing appeals the Guadalupe River is available to entertain throughout the winter. This is the most southern river in the U.S. for trout fishing.

If you are heading south for your first winter, make it a winter to explore. I would recommend trying a number of different parks with the goal of finding one that fits your interests and lifestyle.

We will return to the Rio Grande Valley (RGV) for our 12th winter this year. We usually arrive in late October or early November and stay through April. October and November are great, December and January are our winter, February is a mix of warm and cool days, highs in the 50's mixed with highs in the 80's. We have had dry years with hardly any rain and wet years when the puddles never seemed to dry up. We play golf, ride bikes, play tennis and many other outdoor activities all winter long. With a heated pool, we swim all winter long. Our park has a pretty good selection of activities, some parks have a greater variety of activities and others have no planned activities.

If you have friends up north, you will find friends down south. We have about 30% Canadians in our park in the winter. There is one man, 88 years old this year who drives to and from the RGV each winter. He stays in a mobile home. Like most parks in the RGV, our park is a mix of mobile homes and RV lots. A few people stay year round after being winter Texans for many years. We've had a couple from Alaska, another couple from Germany who return frequently. There are people from California to New York who are regulars. You will meet many Mexican immigrants in the RGV, this is the first stop for many immigrants. Many Mexican residents come to the RGV to shop or visit relatives. Many of the workers in our park are recent immigrants. They are hard workers and good people. To the residents of the RGV we are known as Winter Texans and are welcomed to the valley. We are a significant part of their economy so they are glad to see us return each winter.

Things I like about the RGV... Wildlife watching (the real birds come here for the winter), golf, chain restaurants, tennis, the RGV Symphony Orchestra, bicycle riding, real Mexican restaurants, happy hour, South Padre Island, bowling, butterflies, Bentsen State Park, three airports with commercial service for quick trips north or south, charter fishing trips on the Gulf of Mexico, Whataburger, Macy's and lots of other stores in the mall, monster flea markets, swimming all winter, the Outlet Mall, Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge, trips to San Antonio, palm trees and fresh citrus fruit.

Here is a great web site to give you more information about the RGV. You will find 56 RV Parks listed on this site. They range in size from 40 sites to 300 sites. From South Padre Island or Brownsville at one end of the RGV to Mission at the other end of the valley is a two hour drive on Expressway 83 and the parks are located throughout the valley.

+1 for the Lazy L & L campground. We've been going there in the winter for 5 years. But if you want a lot of activities go elsewhere (like RGV).

We also have stayed in the RGV one winter and may go back for partial winter. Warm but windy as I recall.