Sign in to follow this  
geraldlanc

Water Pressure

We have recently purchased a 2002 Beaver Marquis.

I have an adjustable pressure controller on the outside of the coach, and would like to know what the maximum safe water pressure should be set to?

Gerald

I have my adjustable set at 55 but the regulator will go to 60 max. My pump says it will put out 55 but I have never tested it. I moved up from the older 40-45 to the 50-55 and liked the increase so sprang for the adjustable. The closer you get to 100 the more likely you will spring a leak.

More here: http://www.rv-dreams-journal.com/2010/05/rv-water-pressure-regulators-related-matters.html

If your pipes are PEX and your fixtures are standard commercial fixtures, there should be no need for a pressure regulator. You should be able to use any community water system pressure without worry. The weakest link in your system will be your hose connecting you to the water supply. I used a pressure regulator for a while but didn't like the trickling water so quit and haven't had a problem. I do carry a pressure regulator for those parks that have extraordinarily high pressure and will use it in those cases. I use the standard off-the-shelf regulator, it is not a variable pressure regulator. With good high pressure we still get a good water flow rate.

If you have an older motor home with earlier versions of plastic piping and some of the low end fixtures used in earlier motor homes, you need a pressure regulator because these systems do have lower pressure limits.

Any plumbing is vulnerable to damage from freezing. Pipes and fixtures which have been frozen but not leaking yet will be vulnerable to high pressure no matter what materials are used.

Winnebago tests their PEX systems at 80 psi and recommends 60 to 65 psi as the regulator setting. I have mine set at 65 psi and have spent an entire summer hosting in a state park that had supply pressure of 135 psi.

The town pressure at our summer home in CO is 135 to 140 psi and most people have a whole house regulator like the one I carry in the motor home. The one on the house supply system had to be replaced a couple of weeks ago. The tech said that normal house faucets and fixtures are rated for a max of 80 psi.

I have a pressure gauge with a hose fitting that I have in the motor home and I use it before I connect to the RV park supply. Most of the time I see 40 psi or less but once in a while a lot more. Got it at a Lowes as I recall.