petenancy

Snow On Slide Covers

Petenancy,

Welcome to FMCA.

Are you asking because the slide will remain out, with the coach parked for an extended stay or are you looking for a solution if you might be where the slide would be out in a snowstorm over night while on the road?

Rich.

In March we went north to help our daughter, taking care of grandchildren while she worked. We got dumped on by a heavy snowstorm (10"). The snow piled up on the slide-out covers and pinned them to the top of the slide-out. It was at least 24 hours later when I could get out to clear them. They came right back up, no problem. About 2 months later I was sitting the coach one afternoon when I heard a sound like something had hit one of the awnings. I couldn't see anything but later went out to see if a tree limb or something had dropped on us. I saw the large slide-out cover laying slack on top of the slide-out. The spring in the roller had broken. I believe this was caused by the snow which had pulled the cover out much further than normal which wound the spring tighter and likely caused it to break a couple of months later.

Moral of the story, if snow is expected, take the slides in or if you are going to be in one place for a while, put something under the cover to support it. Don't let the snow accumulate on the covers to the point that it weighs them down.

To: T Butler

Thanks for your input because of some family issues we need to stay in Va for the winter. I think that we will watch the forcast and pull the slides in if snow is pending.

We got dumped on in St George, UT last week with 8" of snow. The slide covers drooped but recovered when I removed the snow. However ice formed from snow melting on the roof . I had to remove the ice before we could bump in. Time will tell if the slide cover springs were affected or not. Good to be back home in Tucson, AZ

IMHO, our slide toppers are very poorly designed. They are horizontal so even when it rains they do not drain and puddle badly. After it rains (or snows), I climb on the roof and sweep off the water or snow so the toppers return to their normal position.