Sign in to follow this  
tquin

Remodel VS New

I have a 2002 Journey with a 330 Cat and 67K miles.

Is there anything I can read that will give me an idea of whether I should remodel (Exterior Pant and update interior) or purchase a later model???

Mechanically its great, normal items are aging and some items need replacing.

Can any one help?

quinlanthomas@comcast.net and thanks.

Probably difficult for anyone to give you specific ideas on what would be pleasing to you and within your ability to do or budget to pay for having done.

We are in the process of remodeling our second motorhome. Already replaced all flooring with cork, recovered headboard, valances, refinished table, new Flexsteel sofa, etc.

By doing the work ourselves, we have a nice coach that suits our tastes at a very reasonable price.

As far as ideas, probably start on "for sale" websites that have a lot of interior photos as well as exterior photos where you may see something that trips you fancy.

And, if someone has posted remodel photos or ideas here you want more detail on, just ask.

Brett

Thanks Brett. We've done the dash and front seats, etc., but just wondering about body paint and other items. Wanted to see if there was a financial formula that would tell met not to go any farther because cost exceeds the value???

You either want to keep the present coach for a long time, thus justifying the expense of a remodel, or you want something else. If you don't hang onto that coach, you should look at asking prices (better if you can get actual sales prices, just not easy to do) for similar coaches. Whether or not there has been a remodel doesn't generally affect the price. General condition will affect it at least as much, so you will see no return on that investment over the first few years.

Koliver mentions the value of the coach. Check the FMCA Magazine advertisements to see what your coach is worth, asking prices are the high end and not what you would get from a dealer if trading or selling your coach. Watching those for a period of time will give you an idea of what your coach might be worth. You can also get Blue Book values for motor homes by several means. There are web sites that will give you a value for reference. We all know that we'll never get all the money our of our coach that we have put into it.

If you think you will be RV'ing longer than the life of your current coach, consider the difference between remodeling and purchasing another coach. If your circumstances suggest that you have to give up RV'ing before you wear out your current coach, remodel. It is possible to keep any coach on the road forever but the costs of doing so will increase each year so you have to factor that into your decision. Your satisfaction with the floor plan, conveniences, engine, chassis, and other factors will also factor into this decision.

If you like your current coach, remodeling may extend its life until you decide to give up RV'ing or until you reach a point where the new coaches offer enough improvements that you decide it is time to get the newest, latest, greatest thing in motor homes. Everyone has their own answers to these questions.

I would make a list of all the things that you want to do to your coach. Now find out what all of it will cost you. I would then set down and look at what coach you could by using your trade in and the remodeling budget Keeping in mind that you will only get a small percentage of your remodeling money back if you sell your coach.

Bill