Sign in to follow this  
missbrandie

Florida As Home Base?

My husband and I both know we want to full time and will be in October. Heading to Florida for the winter and then starting our adventure. We have a class A coach.

Our main question right now is how to we establish residency in Florida so we can make it our home base for car registration, inspection, voting etc.

We are using my mother in laws address for our mail for the winter since our mail got so messed up last winter. We will be living in Florida for the winters for about 5-6 months.

Where do we start? Right now we live in Maine. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Eileen

The mail forwarding service I use, St Brendan's Isle, has all the forums you need right on their web site. I believe you do need to be a member to see the forms tab. Using a mail forwarding service gives you a physical address you need to do so. They can be of great assistance in the process. At the same time, they provide a service that all FT RVers need, so take a look.

We are also heading to Fl. on Oct. 20th. We are due to arrive at Ocala Sun RV Resort on Nov.1st.

Here is an informative web site to take a look at. It is not specific to Florida, but give some directions as to where start, so that the accomplishment will be to your best interest.

Also, if your motherinlaw is a current resident of Florida, you might want to move in with her (LOL).

http://changingears.com/rv-sec-state-residency.shtml

Good luck,

Kay

Establishing a state of residence as a full timer really isn't difficult in most cases and doing it properly will save you a lot of time and frustration. Your best choice is to go all in. License vehicles, drivers license, mailing address and voting should all be in the same state. If you have an estate or wills, those should be reviewed to conform to your new state of residence. If not, you will find instances where the system just won't accommodate you. When you deal with insurance, ordering or shipping materials, credit card companies and banks, etc., the rest of the world doesn't understand, can't comprehend, a person who doesn't live in a fixed house. You are the exception to every rule they know.

We have managed to get by with our cell phones having our original area code since numbers have become transportable from one phone to the next. There was a period of time about ten years ago and before when this caused some problems but the state of technology has caused everyone to adjust to the fact that a phone number is ten digits and those ten digits no longer tell you where someone is or where they live.

You have plenty of good references above so I won't add to them. We loved our full time experience and still spend as much time as we can in our motor home. Enjoy the experience!