Sign in to follow this  
chuckconnie

Front Engine Diesel (FRED)

Does anyone have any ideas about a front diesel as far as noise or performance ?

I am looking at one to purchase but having second thoughts as I believe it was a very short lived experiment by manufacturers. They seem to stay at dealers for a long period of time till sold.

Just seems to me it was a flop.

Actually, FREDS are considered a step up from a gas chassis and a step down from a DP.

It is reasonable that there IS the middle step.

We have a 2007 Safari Simba FRED. This is our first coach and I see it as an entry level Class A coach for us. We plan to upgrade to a rear engine DP someday but we will enjoy this one for the time being. The engine can be heard more so than a rear engine DP but I haven't driven a DP so I can't really say how much different the noise levels are. After driving this coach for almost three years now, I don't really notice the engine noise other than when running at higher rpm levels climbing steep hills.

The real difference that I see is the difference in the torque produced by the 5.9L Cummins engine vs. larger, DP engines that produce 1,000+ lbs of torque that allow you to climb hills with greater ease. The bottom line is that if you are able and willing to spend the additional money, then a DP would be a better choice.

I am looking forward to driving a DP in the years to come!

... I believe it was a very short lived experiment by manufacturers. They seem to stay at dealers for a long period of time till sold...

If this is true, that would scare me off.

When we were shopping to make the move from 5th wheel to motor home, we compared a new Tiffin 36TLA gas coach (Ford V10) vs used Tiffin Allegro Bay 38QDB FRED (6.7L Cummins) vs used DPs (Cat C7 and 6.7L Cummins). Here in Florida's flat lands, all four engines seemed to move the coaches with ease, I'm not a major throttle jockey and as I said...no hills.

Ride wise, the Gas and FRED rode about the same, I'd give the nod to the FRED due to the heavier Freightliner chassis. The DPs both had air ride, so they both rode nicer than the Gas or FRED. For me the choice boiled down to braking. The Gasser brakes scared me, I can't imagine driving the V10 in mountains. Little to no engine braking, so all you have is four small disc brakes, to slow that beast down. The FRED has diesel engine braking and larger chassis brakes. Again the nod goes to the FRED.

In the end we purchased a used DP. You just get more for your money. Granted it's older and there is more to go wrong, but the ride and extra's just made it worth it for us. Ask me again in 4 years....when the extended warranty runs out.