Sign in to follow this  
Gusonthego

Best Mountain Route To Albuquerque From Salt Lake City

Question

We are looking for the route with least issues with grades and sharp curves though the mountains around Albuquerque. We have lost our Mountain Directory which has this information.

Currently, we are in Salt Lake City and plan to go to the Balloon Festival next week via Moab, Utah.

From there, we are going to southern Texas, so will be heading southeast.

5 answers to this question

I just made this trip about 2 months ago......From Moab go south on US 131 to US 160 to US 491at Cortez CO then south to US 64 at Shiprock NM then to Farmington/Bloomfield then turn south on US 550 for about 180 miles, then south on I-25 and that will take you right into Albuquerque. The Balloon Fiesta field is on the north side of Albuquerque west side of the interstate.....

You could continue on US 160 at Cortez to US 550 at Durango but more mountains are on that route.....The way I described is the way I go because I do not need to see Durango again......lol..

When you leave Albuquerque if you were going to South/Southwest Texas then I-25 is the way to go......But if you want to go over one more mountain take I-40 east to US 285 at Clines Corner turn Southeast on US 285 all the way to the NM/Texas stateline.....If you come this way as you drive through Artesia wave to me, please.............Enjoy the trip.........

Mike

Glad to see another member attending the festival.

Both the wife and I will be there the 8th 9th and 10th.

Our coach carries member # 432815

As far as traveling south to Texas, make sure you have enough fuel

Alb prices a very reasonable at this time.

25 is the best way to travel

If you need fuel on the way, the best place to stop, is in Las Cruces.

Get off at exit 142, and turn left, then stop at Murphy Express.

They have the best prices on your way to Texas.

Wishing you a great time, and trip. Hope to see you at the festival

Ken & Dorothy (Hugger5)

Thank you, Mike, for your experience and suggestions.

We also saw Durango some years ago and don't need to see it again....especially when involving more mountains in a motor home at this time of year.

Is there any reason you don't want to take Hwy 160 to catch Hwy 64 at Teec Nos Pos instead of going somewhat north to Cortez? Then we could catch US 550 at Shiprock?

I assume the mountain on I-40 isn't too bad? It seem like most freeways limit grades and curves. That looks like a good route as it can take us to a stop at San Antonio on the way to Harlingen, TX. And, it has the advantage of letting us wave to you! :D

Thanks again.

The Gustafsons

When we came through there the road to Teec Nos Pos was being worked on and I did all that kind of work I wanted to do or see for the last 45 years so it was down through Shiprock for me.....The drive thru the valley is a pretty drive until you get south of Cortez to Shiprock.....

The I-40 route is not to bad of a climb and once you get to Clines Corners the traffic thins out a bunch and I like that...............Gas in Roswell yesterday was 3.12 per gal and Diesel was 3.68 at the station I was at......

Come on down you will love the drive it is all green now..........

Mike

When we came through there the road to Teec Nos Pos was being worked on and I did all that kind of work I wanted to do or see for the last 45 years so it was down through Shiprock for me.....The drive thru the valley is a pretty drive until you get south of Cortez to Shiprock.....

The I-40 route is not to bad of a climb and once you get to Clines Corners the traffic thins out a bunch and I like that...............Gas in Roswell yesterday was 3.12 per gal and Diesel was 3.68 at the station I was at......

Come on down you will love the drive it is all green now..........

Mike

Thank you! That is very helpful. Can't wait to see those low gas and diesel prices so will hold off on filling up...here gas is $3.40+ and diesel is close to $4.00.