Sign in to follow this  
billkoboldt

Toad Battery Charging Wire

Am I right in assuming I can charge the battery in my Honda CRV by running a hot wire and a ground from the hot and ground terminals that are on my 7 way trailer plug that is on the motorhome?

The fuses are so small and hard to get that I don't really want to mess with them. I haven't set the CRV up for towing yet because I still tow my 07 Saturn Vue. That car I just installed a toggle switch under the hood to bypass the fuse. Works great, been using this set-up since the summer of 2007. Never had a dead battery, even after 10-11 hours of towing. Do start it up each time I gas up the motorhome.

Someone on this forum recommended this product to me and I swear by it. Could be the ticket for you as well. However, there was one pitfall for me while using this product - but I think it was more of a function of the toad and not the charger itself.

I tow a 2003 Landrover Discovery II. Ignition switch needs to be set to the level "2" position. Doing this fires up most everything electrical on the LR. I found that the toad charger did a great job keeping the LR battery charged. The problem I encountered was when I had to tow during the night. I turned on the parking lights on the LR and drove a good 6 hours at night. The toad charger just couldn't keep up with the demands needed by the LR battery and the LR battery needed a trickle charge for a good two hours to get some juice back into the battery to turn over the LR.

Not sure if you plan on any night time towing in which you too may have to turn on your parking lights on your CRV in order for traffic to see you. Also, not sure what load demands are placed on the CRV. In any event, I still sing praises with the toad charger, despite my little hiccup in towing during the night. This product could work for you too.

http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html