scooter209

Towing a Mazda Miata With 6 Speed Automatic Sport

I have read that people tow Mazda Miatas with manual transmissions. Is it possible to tow one four on the road with the 6 speed automatic sport tranny? I really need to know as I am shopping for a tow car. The one I want to tow is a 2008. It seems that all the copper-red Miatas come with this auto trannys. Help, I love that color but want to use it as my toad. Also am wondering why there were no Miatas in the 2008 list of towables.

I am a newbie and am depending on some good advice from more experienced RVers.

The answer to what is towable four wheels down is really TWO questions:

One: is the legal/liability question.

Two: is will it harm the vehicle mechanically.

Since a 2008 is out of warranty, the second one is the question that is likely the more relevant to you.

Remco is likely the best source to answer that question: http://www.remcoindustries.com/Towing/Store.php

Brett

I checked with them and they said a trailer would have to be used. I then checked on a 2006 which I had read about in this forum being towed four wheels down. They said it would have to be on a trailer also. I have little faith in Remco because of this. I do thank you for the suggestion. I guess I will forgo the pretty color and buy a manual since some of our"family " towing them successfully.

A lot of the newer cars (both Auto & Manual trans), utilize an electric pump system to maintain lubrication inside the trans. Towing 4 down, even in neutral, spins some components inside the trans. No oil = burned out bearings.