Sign in to follow this  
Spruijt

Hi There, We're New

Hello everyone, we are Rien and Yolanda Spruijt from the Netherlands, and we just bought out first camper which is a Cobra Monterrey.

We bought it from the first owner who was a member of FMCA, the member plate is on the camper with nr 141985. He bought the camper in the USA in 1995 and had it transported to Belgium and then to Holland. We are very pleased to go on holiday with it!

Welcome to the FMCA Forum, Rien and Yolanda,

I would be very interested in hearing about your experiences on holiday in Europe! It would be interesting to compare our experiences with yours. I'm sure some things are quite different for you than for us here in North America. Keep us posted on what you are doing.

Rien & Yolanda,

Again Welcome.

One of the thing I would like to hear is how the previous owner handled the electrical set up in the coach.

Every thing in an US built coach is 110/120 Volts including the A/C and refrigerator and if I understand it, Europe is 220 Volts.

Herman

Thanx for a warm welcome on your forum!

Dianne and Brett: We are both working (54 and 57 years old) so we will use the camper on weekend and holiday trips in Europe. For instance Germany is a country with lots of places especially for campers to spend the night. Also in Holland there are such places, varying from a place on a parking place to a beautiful place with water and electricity and so on. The thing we like is the freedom you have when you have your own place with you all the time. Rien likes to go carp fishing so we will find places to do that. We have friends in the Czech Republic that we want to visit, and in CZ are nice places for carp fishing. So there are many plans but to start with we will clean the camper and make it ours by looking what to take with us and were to store everything. It is getting winter here and we think we will start using it in springtime, then we will have all the time that is needed to learn about all the things that are in the camper and how they work. We want to have the LPG unit controlled since it is as old as the vehicle (1995) and also the engine airco doesn't work properly. Rien knows quite a bit about technics and together we like to try to fix things.

Tom and Louise: I'll tell about our experiences and I sure would like to know about yours in the USA. We have some friends were going to meet in a while who have been to America on a camper holiday. We will ask them about there experiences, we allready saw some things on Facebook about it, and what we saw was that the camperplaces were very big!

Herman: the camper was build in the USA and brought to Belgium without electrical equipment, which was build in in Belgium. The first owner had been to America on holiday, saw a Cobra camper there and ordered one, now that's courageous ain't it. Rien has always been crazy about American cars, had a Cadillac. So an American camper was our dream.

In the weekend I will take some pictures and post them.

Sorry if my English is not how it should be! Yolanda

Yolanda, your English is very good. A whole lot better spelling than some of us can do. Stay with it. You have a very nice way of telling things, and I think everyone here will be following your posts closely.

Yolanda,

Your English is much better than my Dutch! We have fond memories of a couple from Netherlands who helped Louise and I when we were in France in 1999. We were chasing a total solar eclipse, taking small roads in the countryside attempting to find a hole in the clouds when we pulled off the road to turn around. Unfortunately the shoulder of the road was very soft and we immediately slid into the ditch. The only car that came by was the couple from Netherlands. They stopped and offered to call a wrecker. We gratefully accepted their offer and within about 15 minutes the wrecker arrived. As luck would have it, the clouds parted and we and the wrecker crew were able to view totality!

Our adventures are posted on the FMCA Blog on this web site. Look down the list of blogs to Tom and Louise on Tour in North America. There are more stories there than you want to read! Enjoy, and I hope to see your own blog there soon.

Hi Tom,

That's a nice story!

I certainly will read your blogs and I may start one myself and tell about our first steps in using an RV as I think you call it.

Did you like to spend some time in Europe?

We loved our stay in Europe. We only spent 10 days in Paris and surroundings. We hope to return someday soon. In 2001 we were in southern Africa for three weeks chasing another eclipse. When we returned we bought our first RV, retired, sold our home and then moved into the motor home full time. We never looked back. We've been traveling regularly ever since.