Sign in to follow this  
racesport

Rear View Camera-- Wired Or Wireless

I have to replace the Voyager monitor on my 2002 American Coach. It is a single camera unit.

I figured if was going to the trouble and expense should I go with three camera or one. I don't know why you would have a two camera system but maybe you all can enlighten me.

I also want to know if wireless is a viable way to go or is wired a lot better with a little more trouble to install.

Thanks!

I have a wireless system now, have had wired before, and will go back to wired when I have to replace again. I have a much better wireless than the last one, and it works ok, but sometimes with wireless there a little rf interference with most wireless systems on the market. Reason for a three camera system, is to place camera two and three on the left and right mirrors, aimed so that any vehicle or other obstruction can be detected mainly when making a turn. Some other ideas for a two camera system include placing the second one showing the trailer hitch for hooking up purposes. These are only a few reasons for multiple systems, as a lot of people have their own ideas, so let your imagination be your guide.

Good luck with your choice, and happy trails, Kay

We just recently changed out the black and white Jenson rear view camera on our 2001 Monaco Diplomat and we went with a unit we found on ebay. It is a quad camera capable but we only got 1 camera for now to replace the one that was in the back. We got a flush mount camera because that is what our coach was set up for. Here is some good reading on things to consider in making your choice. Also, we were able to use the existing cable that ran from the rear of the coach to the front of the coach, we just had to splice the new ends onto the old wire, works great. http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Choose-Vehicle-Rear-View-Backup-Video-Camera-/10000000000037397/g.html

Hope this helps

Not endorsing their products at all, just good reading and things to consider.

When one up grades to a multiple camera system, they do not always come with the needed accessories to make the side view cameras work when the turn signals are on.

To make them work one needs to install additional relays and wiring.

They can be switched manually in most cases, but its not the best idea to take ones eyes off the road an look for the switch each time.

Rich.

When one up grades to a multiple camera system, they do not always come with the needed accessories to make the side view cameras work when the turn signals are on.

They can be switched manually in most cases, but its not the best idea to take ones eyes off the road an look for the switch each time.

Rich.

That is one of the reasons that we bought the one that we did, it has a trigger wire for all 4 of the camera inputs and it comes on when in reverse and when we add the side view cameras then all we will have to do is tie into the turn signal wire. The camera has a timer that you can adjust for the trigger wires so that it doesn't flash on and off while the turn signal is flashing.

Rich.

As we know camera systems vary in quality, color, monitor size, lenses [wide angle, narrow, mirror] and other options. I have six hard wired cameras on my RV that are monitored independently. My monitor is 7" and in color. Both side cameras work automatically with the turn signals and alone if desired. Both nose cameras that cover the front and corners of the RV are great in negotiating tight turns and objects in the blind zone. The indoor camera is like a rear view mirror allowing me to look behind me to talk with someone or look to see if a cabinet or refrig opened. The rear camera is flush mount and gives a180 degree view left and right, moves up over the tow vehicle and down to the hitch by a simple button. My camera system is by Total Vision. Photos of the cameras installed on my Outlaw are at the bottom of this site. http://www.totalvisionproducts.com/products/RV.html . These cameras have saves me their cost and more. RV accidents usually begin in the thousands plus an increase of insurance premiums, hotel expenses, lost time, and give you memories and something for your DW to remind you of.