Tohopko

Winter Routing Columbia, SC- Coeur d'Alene, ID

Question

We're finally picking up the Allegro Bus in November in San Antonio and heading to Columbia, SC. Likely to stop in at Red Bay for a short factory visit, and then heading back west in mid-late Dec.

This will be our first trip in the coach, and looking for advice on routing back in to the Spokane-Coeur d'Alene area that avoids as many high pass/heavy snow areas as possible.

We aren't in a hurry, but aren't looking to wait until March to make it back home.

2 answers to this question

Mid December is a risk for snow and I don't know how you will avoids passes. May not necessarily snow that time of year but there is a way to travel during that time. If you are coming up to a pass that has snow, stop before and check the local radio or TV for condition. Sometimes best to camp for the night and wait til cleared usually mid-afternoon the next day to be safe. Good luck!

I believe from experience, before you take any trip to the Northwest, you check out and download or buy the " mountaindirectorys.com". They are developed for truckers and RV. Make all of your plans by Interstate. You will probably go up and catch I-80 or I-90 to go West and get to Couer d'Alene on I-90. We have done this planning as our Alaska Trip meets there. You have the Appalachians to cross but most Interstates will work okay. The West is another story. Happy Traveling