Am considering the purchase of a 2011 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA on a Ford chassis. Am thinking someone out there owns one and would like to know any information they could give me. Do you like or dislike the unit and for what reasons, as I cannot find any reviews on it.

Thanks.

Chuck

I have never owned a 34TGA but I just purchased a 2007 35TSA on the workhorse chasis with the Chevy engine. Previously I owned a 1998 Allegro Bus Diesel Pusher. I cannot speak to your particular model but I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with a Tiffin motor home. They build an outstanding durable product that will take a beating. I have been driving a diesel for the past 12 years and have never driven a gas long distance. I will be driving 600 miles next week which will be my test of how different a gas is to a diesel.

Thanks.

I am going from a Workhorse chassis to a Ford. I liked the Workhorse and friends of mine had Fords, but on hills the Workhorse outperformed them and I got better fuel mileage. Too bad they do not manufacture them anymore. Now for gas units you get a Ford.

I have never owned a 34TGA but I just purchased a 2007 35TSA on the workhorse chasis with the Chevy engine. Previously I owned a 1998 Allegro Bus Diesel Pusher. I cannot speak to your particular model but I can tell you that you will not be disappointed with a Tiffin motor home. They build an outstanding durable product that will take a beating. I have been driving a diesel for the past 12 years and have never driven a gas long distance. I will be driving 600 miles next week which will be my test of how different a gas is to a diesel.

None of my business but why are you switching to gas?

You may want to go to the Tiffin forum for information on their models ...

I do not have any information on your question - had a Ford V10 on my 2007 Winnebago 36 Voyage and liked it but went to the DP just with a little more size, power for the mountains, etc... but the V10 worked fine for Yellowstone trip and all over midwest...

We have an Allegro of 2007 vintage. It's a 28DA. It has the Ford V-10 and we tow a 94 Honda Accord with it. Last year we put more than 10k miles on it without issues. The engine performs and we went over the Rockies with it just fine.

That would be my question, why trade from a Diesel Pusher? I had a Workhorse with the 8.1 gas engine took it all up the west coast and down though Yellowstone. It did fine but the fuel like to have broke me. This diesel pusher I have now can round trip Dallas from Odessa and still have a quarter tank of fuel. The old Workhorse I would fill it in Odessa then again in Sweetwater, then in Dallas and same on the way home. My brother has the V-10 in his and it get rid of the fuel about the same pace. This Tiffin bus I have now I wouldn't trade for any gas burning engine.

We enjoyed the other motor home but didn't know any better. Just Saying..

That would be my question, why trade from a Diesel Pusher? I had a Workhorse with the 8.1 gas engine took it all up the west coast and down though Yellowstone. It did fine but the fuel like to have broke me. This diesel pusher I have now can round trip Dallas from Odessa and still have a quarter tank of fuel. The old Workhorse I would fill it in Odessa then again in Sweetwater, then in Dallas and same on the way home. My brother has the V-10 in his and it get rid of the fuel about the same pace. This Tiffin bus I have now I wouldn't trade for any gas burning engine.

We enjoyed the other motor home but didn't know any better. Just Saying..

Now I will agree a Diesel Pusher Tiffin bus as u say u have is a far cry from from a gasser unit for sure BUT its also new to new $175K more to buy AND A bus only gets 8MPG average so even if your gasser got 6.5 or 7 based on gas being at least 60 cents agallon cheaper its pretty hard to say your saving any fuel money at all like NONE.

So, really what are u saying?? No doubt there is no comparison in ride,road noise,storage,power,quality of build etc but there is no fuel cost saving at all NONE

Well......all I can tell you is this pusher goes a lot farther on the fuel than the gasser I had. My brother has a Ford and it uses pretty close to what the other one did. I have never figured the fuel mileage on the coach but it is better than the gasser that's all I was saying. Not worth arguing over just get in one of the coaches with a 8.1 check it for your self. I had it at the dealer making sure the engine was right. Put on the edge kit headers ex. programmer and still would not pass a gas station. I'm HAPPY,HAPPYHAPPY,

The diesel likely has a bigger fuel tank. Oil changes cost 5 times as much or more. Everything costs more.

A gasser gets 6.5-7.5 and a diesel get maybe 8.5 at best .......and the diesel fuel costs 25% more.

So in reality to fuel a diesel could possibly cost more than a gasser.

I got 9.5 with my DP 8.3L ISC towing my Jeep Liberty diesel which adds 4500 lbs to 33000 loaded weight of the MH. The secret is to cruise about 1500 rpm just above max toque band so your not lugging it. Above 1500 rpm you will just waste fuel. Oil change on diesel could go as much as 15,000 miles, gasser 3000 miles so that cancel out oil changing more. Diesel gets 30 percent better mileage than gasser and if the gasser uses premium fuel cost more than diesel. You can get a Pilot or Flying J card for discount on diesel. Maintenance on diesel pusher fuel and air filters every 20,000 miles no different than gasser. Change spark plugs on a Ford V-10 and you think you are being charged for an overhaul. No need to ask me how I know.

You are incorrect on all counts. Ford gasser gets 7.5 mpg towing, Ford says to change the oil every 7500 miles. So where does the 3000 mile figure come from? Spark plugs at least 100 thousand miles as per Ford. So most RV owners will never change spark plugs.

Diesel fuel also costs .65 - 1.00 more per gallon. No one who wants to keep their diesel motor in great shape would wait 15000 mile between oil changes.

I disagree when you say maintenance on a diesel cost the same as a gasser.

YOU CAN ALSO GET Flying J/ Pilot discount card on a gasser too.

My dp gets 10-11 mpg towing a 1500 Silverado. Diesel fuel cost about 50 cents more per gallon today in Las Vegas, $3.22 TO $3.72. 40% better mileage. I had my oil analyzed at 15k and at 29k and it was still good to go but I changed it anyway. I use Rotella T6 synthetic.

I only have 45 years of experience as a mechanic and 30 of them with fleet so I know what I talk about. I was being kind when I said maintenance of a diesel was about the same as a gasser. Maintenance of a diesel is less than a a gasser. When I worked at fleet we did oil changes on fleet gasser twice as much as diesel. The fuel and air filters on gassers 15,000 miles, 30,000 miles on diesel. The EPA is the reason that oil change is extended to 7500 miles. There is so many engine going bad that dealers such as GM change the oil free for the customers for the first 50,000 miles. They have a certain certified oil that must be used or warranty is void. When working at fleet the gassers were best to get rid of just over 100,000 miles, the diesel last over twice the mileages.

I talked to owners with v-10 fords and best they get is 6 mpg in a 28 footer, ouch!

Guys,

Gas vs Diesel discussion ALWAYS get a little heated-- strong feelings on both sides.

Please remember common forum etiquette -- it is OK to challenge other's FACTS or OPINIONS. It is NOT OK to make personal attacks.

There is a place in the RV world for both fuel types, and there are excellent reasons for both. The fact that it is a better choice for YOU does not necessarily make it a better choice for someone else. But, that applies to a lot more than just type of fuel!

Thanks.

Brett

Sorry if it appeared if I attacked anyone, but I also got an nasty email from same person. Otherwise I would have left the thread alone. I also must note that this thread went a different way than the original posted intended.

Huffypuff-appreciate all your info plus opinions. Don't let the uniformed get to you. Thanks.

Huffy Puffy, thanks for your insights. I went with a 300 Cummins in a Tiffin FRED over a V-10. I get 10 MPG without Toad and 8 MPG with toad. Being a FRED it is a little noisey up front under a load and the Gen Set is in the rear. The Gen Set in the rear makes it a little hard to sleep sometimes. Next MH will be a Pusher.

Huffy-Puffy you are correct. Fact are Facts, Salesman are not. Thank-you for your insight. Just one comment for others out there whom may be confused over this thread.

When you are driving look around and what do you see on the road???? Any vehicle carrying any kind of goods, other than passengers i.e. freight, furniture, appliances, beds, food, etc. outside of RV's has a diesel engine. Why do you think that is??? Diesel engines cost more up front to buy yet on the highway you see many vehicles with diesel engines especially trucks, long haul trucks, etc. Why do you think there are more diesel engine carrying heavy loads than gasoline engines? Do you know there are more BTU's in a gallon of diesel than in a gallon of gasoline, that a fact, pure chemistry. Diesel is more environmentally friendly than gasoline. Diesel is less expensive to refined. Why does diesel cost more than gasoline? Years ago diesel was cheaper than the cheapest gas. But now it is more expensive, simple economic - supply and demand, Europe and other countries use more diesel than we do and they pay more for it so who do you think the major oils are selling there diesel too?? Not us.

The decision to buy a gas engine over a diesel engine is not about the cost of the fuel. From a technical viewpoint I would base the decision on the type of vehicle, the weight of the vehicle and what the vehicle will be carrying most of the time. RV owners tend to carry everything including the kitchen sink. If you are buying a Class C or B gas may be a better choice, if you are buying a Class A then diesel is a better choice. Note Diesel engine passenger car are making a comeback in America with more efficiency than gas and better for the environment.

There are pros and cons for both fuel types just know that the EPA is more for diesel than for gasoline, both fuels are made from the same crude oil. Gasoline cost more to refine.

I find these forums interesting, in that for many yrs. I dealt with large engines, mostly stationary. Diesels were relatively rare, except for isolated power plants. Most engines and gas turbines used natural gas and the engines ran 24/7 at approximately 100% design output.

My MH is 37ft. 22000# F53. I am interested in the Diesel vs. Gas discussions because:

a. The better handling of the DP, although I drove I 10 from Phoenix to Orange Cty. In 50 mph side winds and bumper to bumper 18 wheelers and survived.

b. Turbos for higher altitude hp.

Diesels, in my experience, need to be loaded and run hot. This is not a MH environment! Is this a problem in a MH? I would expect fuel dilution of lubes would cause problems.

Does the relatively low usage cause problems? (for diesels)

When did DEF become mandated? Do the particulate filters and afterburners cause problems?

Does the ultra low sulfur fuels cause problems with the '04 era diesels?

Fuel mileage is not really a concern. My gasser seems to get approx. 8 mpg, even towing an Escape, although I haven't really done a scientific study. Any input would be appreciated

Phil

Phil,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I can answer a couple of your questions-- answers will be in SOLID LETTER CAPS.

Brett

I find these forums interesting, in that for many yrs. I dealt with large engines, mostly stationary. Diesels were relatively rare, except for isolated power plants. Most engines and gas turbines used natural gas and the engines ran 24/7 at approximately 100% design output.

My MH is 37ft. 22000# F53. I am interested in the Diesel vs. Gas discussions because:

a. The better handling of the DP, although I drove I 10 from Phoenix to Orange Cty. In 50 mph side winds and bumper to bumper 18 wheelers and survived.

b. Turbos for higher altitude hp.

Diesels, in my experience, need to be loaded and run hot. This is not a MH environment! Is this a problem in a MH? I would expect fuel dilution of lubes would cause problems. NOT A PROBLEM-- WERE YOU TO IDLE FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME, IT WOULD BE. BUT WITH MOSTLY HIGHWAY MILES YOU ARE LOADING THE ENGINE SUFFICIENTLY TO HAVE IT AT TRUE OPERATING TEMPERATURES.

Does the relatively low usage cause problems? (for diesels). NO. BUT SITTING FOR LONG PERIODS OF TIME IS TOUGH ON ANY MACHINE. WE (AND MANY OTHERS) TAKE THEM OUT WHILE IN STORAGE FOR 25+ HIGHWAY MILES ONCE A MONTH.

When did DEF become mandated? DEPENDS ON ENGINE, BUT MOST IN 2010 Do the particulate filters and afterburners cause problems? NO HIGH INCIDENT RATES OF FAILURE HAVE BEEN REPORTED HERE OR ON ANY OTHER RV SITE I MONITOR.

Does the ultra low sulfur fuels cause problems with the '04 era diesels? IN WRITING, BOTH CATERPILLAR AND CUMMINS SAY THE ULSD IS BACKWARDS COMPATIBLE WITH ALL ON]HIGHWAY ENGINES. ULSD WAS REQUIRED ON 2004 AND NEWER ENGINES. ULSD HAS VERY SLIGHTLY LESS BTU'S PER GALLON, SO MPG IS VERY SLIGHTLY LOWER.

Fuel mileage is not really a concern. My gasser seems to get approx. 8 mpg, even towing an Escape, although I haven't really done a scientific study. Any input would be appreciated

Phil

I think this is a simple discussion. Diesel motor homes cost, on average, 100% more than gas. You would have to drive to the moon to get the initial cost back in fuel savings.

However, there are many advantages to diesel which have been noted. Never try to justify the RV lifestyle on the basis of cost -- it is a losing proposition!

Bonehead

And, of course there is another perspective-- for the same $$, one can buy a new entry level gas, 2-3 year old high end gas, 4-5 year old diesel or 6-7 year old high end diesel.

No "one answer fits all."

I think this is a simple discussion. Diesel motor homes cost, on average, 100% more than gas. You would have to drive to the moon to get the initial cost back in fuel savings.

However, there are many advantages to diesel which have been noted. Never try to justify the RV lifestyle on the basis of cost, it is a losing proposition!

Having just switched from gasser to diesel, I can certainly attest to that ... actually 100% might be a little low. :(