e6a6h666

CO Detector Type - RV vs. Home

We have 2 residential type; one in front and one in the bedroom (a door separates the 2 zones) also have 2 smoke detectors (one in each zone)

each zone has it's own door to the outside also.

Also we have a typical Residential Vehicle.

Ray,

You might want to check, but I suspect it is a propane detector that activates a solenoid that allows propane into the coach.

Brett

Why do I need a special RV-designated CO detector rather than one advertised for home use? How is an RV detector different?

I have both types and I don't see there is a difference OTHER THAN the one rated for RV has been tested to function trough the rough travel of a RV. At least that is what I have been told.

Good morning, Ray - huffypuff;

I have an observation on the subject of "combination CO-propane detectors."

I am not sure that I can recommend them.

The optimum location for a CO (Carbon monOxide) detector is up high, and the CO gas, being also a by-product of incomplete combustion, is lighter than air and will rise and collect up near the ceiling.

The optimum location for a propane detector is down low, and the propane gas is heavier than air and will collect down near the floor.

The optimum location for one gas will be the worst location for the other. They have conflicting operational requirements for a detection system.

For that reason, I chose to go with two separate type units in my motor home; one propane detector down low near the floor in the galley area where the heater is also located, and one separate CO detector up near the ceiling also in the galley area. There is also a smoke detector in the ceiling in the living room area just forward of the galley area.

Then there is another smoke detector and a second CO detector both in the ceiling back in the rear bedroom.

Also, the propane detector is powered with a separate, fused, constant 12 VDC power source connected to the coach batteries. My propane detector is an audible alarm unit only; it is not interconnected with the propane supply line. Well, at least not at this time.

Enjoy;

Ralph

Latte Land, Washington

Sorry to revive an old thread, but didn't want to start a new one in the wrong place.  Just found out that I ought to replace my CO detector.  Any recommendations on the brand or model.  I have found a wide assortment, in all kinds of price ranges. Thanks,

I replaced ours at the end of last year, due to age. I bought this one (link below). One is mounted low and the other is mounted mid way up the wall. I put this model in the same location the factory had them placed.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/35-series-dual-lp-carbon-monoxide-alarm-black/70012

Here is a good article on why placement is important

http://www.carbonmonoxidedetectorplacement.com/

Better late than never, but I wanted to point this out.  LP gas IS heavier than air and will therefore sink, hence the floor-level location of the LP detector. However, CO will MIX with air and DOES NOT RISE. Therefore, CO detectors are ideally mounted knee-height or lower. That is why combination LP/CO detectors are effective, since CO detectors work just as well at floor level than higher.

17 hours ago, SFroese said:

Better late than never, but I wanted to point this out.  LP gas IS heavier than air and will therefore sink, hence the floor-level location of the LP detector. However, CO will MIX with air and DOES NOT RISE. Therefore, CO detectors are ideally mounted knee-height or lower. That is why combination LP/CO detectors are effective, since CO detectors work just as well at floor level than higher.

I beg to differ on the assessment that at knee-height or floor level is just as well, the industry standard is five feet. https://www.sterlinghomeinspections.com/sterling-home-inspection-blog/2013/12/11/carbon-monoxide-detector-placement-dos-and-donts/

According to this, specific placement of CO monitor is not that important in a residential setting. How it translates to a motor home or RV is beyond my pay grade.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21536403

I followed the manufacturer's recommendation on mine and placed it towards the upper 1/4 of the wall height. Hardest part was getting it in an area away from vents, windows, etc.