sctucker

Cummins ISB Engine Shut Down

I installed a new lift pump on 9-23-13 by Commercial Engine Service in Victorville, CA. Two weeks later Diesel Services in Grand Junction, CO., R & R complete re-man injector pump VP-44 on Friday 10-11-13.

After driving 180 miles today, I stopped for 15 minute rest, restarted engine to continue my trip and the engine shut down on its own 30 seconds later. Restart was rough, waited 30 minutes, restarted and all seems well. This exact problem in the same sequence has plagued this RV for the last 10,000 miles, so I spent $3500.00 and completed above mentioned fixes hoping to end this starting and shutting off problem. Engine has 104,000 miles total. I service my RV with great respect.

I will drive back to Diesel Services in Grand Junction tomorrow for computer code check, Monday morning and go from there.

Please help.

I hope I am not the only person to have this problem. The engine is 5.9 L - 300 hp. ISB300.

Sctucker,

Welcome to FMCA!

Rough running engine sounds like a fuel issue. There could be a leak in the fuel line between the lift pump and the fuel tank, allowing for a leak back of the fuel.

You did not mention if your engine ECM set any fault codes.

When they changed the VP-44 injector pump, some dirt could have gotten into the fuel lines running to the injectors.

When did you have the valve lash checked last?

When did you change the air filter and fuel filters last?

What is the fuel pressure reading between the lift pump and the injector pump?

Rich.

Rich

Thanks for the shout back! My problem is not a rough running engine. My problem is after driving for 2 to 6 hours or any combination of hours

and then parking, shutting off engine for a short period of time then getting back in the drivers seat starting engine. this is when it shuts down

on its own. The shut down process of the engine on its own is when the engine begins to run rough, the RPM slowly reduces, engine shakes

then quits. When I try to re-start it might catch and run or not but I must wait for 1/2 hour or so then it re starts and will drive away happy happy

only to have it happen again when I repeat the above. I am aware of fuel problem and pump problem that's why I changed them. If dirt got into

injector why does it run so good?

Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification.

Do you have any codes in the ECM? You can read them manually using the check engine light, Idle speed and engine check switches.

I'm beginning to wounder if you have a circuit problem, regarding power in the fuel supply circuit power the fuel shut off relay, ECM or wiring.

Beginning to sound like an intermittent electrical issue. I will see if I can copy over information on testing that circuit if needed.

Rich.

ECM Error Codes that might be related to your problem. There are others, but these are the ones that stand out and because of your description some stand out more then others.

Code 364-ECM to pump communication error.

Code 365-Fuel pump voltage out of range

Code 369-Fuel pump to engine synchronization Pulse not recognized

Code 368-Fuel pump can not reach Commanded timing

Code 373- Fuel pump,fuel shut off error.

Code 375-ECM fuel calibration corrupted.

Code 391-VP44 Relay coil supply circuit.

Certain years of Cummins engine have problems with fuel control module mounted on the injection pump. The problem is that they can't handle the heat and will have the symptoms you are experiencing. Take it back to the shop that installed the injection pump for warranty.

Ray Good point !! Your thought is valid and I'm beginning to thing along the same lines.

Having a bad pump installed is not what one wants. Kind of hopping there is a fault code stored for something else.

Rich.

Steve,

Per Ray's post, Brett's thoughts and looking at the troubleshooting guide for the ISB. The issue could be low voltage to the fuel supply solenoid or that part of the rebuilt injector pump is bad / intermittent.

Be sure the power and ground legs of the VP-44 power supply are in good order; inspect the lift pump, power relay and fuses for corrosion.

Any connection issues at this connection or circuit could decrease the voltage going to the pump and that could cause the fuel supply valve to open intermittently. leading to a hard to start problem. Also could manifest itself as a loose of power, due to decreased fuel flow to the injector pump.

One needs the wiring connection drawing for the power connection on the cable connector going to the VP-44 pump

Rich.

I beleive ISB ... but don't think its fuel related ... as the engine shut down is due to the injectors being shut down by the PCM after restart ... like 3 pulses and its done ...

Thought we mite have some additional info on the OPs issue that would give us a clue ......