dorfboyzz

Horn On 1997 Beaver Monterey Doesn't Work

My horn stopped working on my Beaver Monterey. The horn's relay is hooked up with the flashers. The flashers work fine.

Do I need go check horn on roof? I hope not as I fell off the roof December 30th. and shattered both my legs. Started to walk again June, very slowly. But, I will do whatever is necessary.

Or is it in the steering wheel?

Dorfboyzz,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You say you have found the horn relay. When you push the horn button, does the relay close? Troubleshooting the horn button/relay would be your first step. If so, next, check for operation of the air valve (assuming these are air horns).

No point in going up on the roof until you know that the relay and air valve are working

dorfboyzz,

A welcome to FMCA also.

Like Brett said, start at the ground !! the odds of the problem being the horns is very small.

Bad solenoid winding, valve or just a fuse would be my first items to check, the steering wheel horn switch is also a possibility.

No more trying to see if you can bounce, if you are like me things do not heal as fast anymore!!!

Rich.

My 98 had neither horn working when I got the RV. I could tell the solenoid was opening, allowing compressed air to the horns. I initially thought I would have to remove the horns, but I could hear a faint sound from one horn. Judicious probing with a long piece of wire and one side at a time crimped off to get the maximum air pressure produced a mud dobbers nest from each horn. They sound fine now! That was one of my easier repair jobs!

dorfboyzz,

Do you have a smart wheel? If so get the number off the smart wheel module, on my coach it is in the electrical panel just in front of the drivers front tire.

Go to www.vipwheels.com web site and down load the instructions for your module. Then call VIP and talk with a tech. They will walk you through the steps to test to see if that portion of the module is defective. I just recently changed mine due to the same problem with the horn.

Vehicle Improvement Products

151 S Ram Rd.

Antioch, IL 60002

847-395-7250

www.vipwheels.com

Hope this helps

Herman

I believe your 97 Beaver Horn/Air Compressor setup is the same as my 97 Safari Serengeti. In all likelihood, it is Air Value (in the Fuse Compatment -- Norgren) or even one of the fuses associated with the Horn/Step Slide Cover systems.