Sign in to follow this  
Landyachters

Mini or Jeep - Which is Best to Tow?

We have a Jeep Liberty. Love the space it gives us, and can be used off road. It is flat towable. Do not know if the mini is or not. A later year (approx. 2004 I believe) 4 WD Jeep with a transfer case (Grand Cherokee, Wrangler and Liberty, not Compass or Patriot) can be flat towed with the transfer case in neutral, the transmission in Park and the key removed. Does not add any miles to odometer, and gets great mileage while being towed, LOL.

We have 2007 Liberty and could not be happier. Plenty of room for groceries, fishing gear, etc. Towed 4 wheels down with Blue Ox and M&G braking system. We have a dummy key in ignition that keeps steering unlocked but will not start engine.

Our 2012 Liberty does not have a steering lock. This allows the key to be removed. Many later model Jeeps have had the steering lock removed. Do not know exact year this happened.

Just towed a Mini Clubman on an Alaska Caravan, including over Top of the World Highway. I've towed this car for over 30,000 miles and am very happy with it. It's fun to drive and dead simple to tow.

I guess it depends on what you want to do with your toad. Last trip a group of us drove on dirt roads, the couple with the mini were not happy. As far as groceries, we take the back seat out of our Wrangler and leave it home, more room for the dog or groceries and our Wrangler rides pretty good.

Easy to tow, reliable, owner's manual says you can tow it (and how to tow it), 2wd or 4wd, light, cheap to operate, high quality and more...Honda CRV.