Sign in to follow this  
medico

Check The Toad Lug Nuts As Well

Just wanted to relate a story friends of ours passed along to us. This was a valuable lesson for them.

While traveling from OK to TX suddenly a big rig passed them and started flashing his lights and slowing in front of them. John looked in his mirror and saw smoke coming from the toad. Once he pulled over (the big rig also pulled over to help) John discovered a tire missing on the left, rear side. The driver stated the tire flew off about a mile back. John mentioned there were some kids hanging around the toad at their last stop, and they all ran off when he approached. Did not think anything of it.

Their car was towed to a repair shop and they are awaiting their insurance representative for the repairs to begin. They have yet to pass along the total damages, but you can imagine after dragging the toad on the wheel (less the tire) for over a mile.

Moral here is inspect or check the toad lug nuts as well as the rig lug nuts. This could easily have turned out much worse for them.

Never thought to check lugs when we stop but I do make it a practice to check tires and all connections to the toad when we stop and leave things unattended. Never know when someone might pull a pin or disconnect lights or brakes.

Years ago I was parked near the Mexican border and when I came out and did my usual walk around I noticed someone had removed the receiver hitch pin on the tow bar.

Just points out the need to do a good walk around and check more than the coach. You never know what you will find.

The entire tire and wheel was gone from the brake rotor. The brake rotor was touching the ground. Indeed, it appears the lug nuts were intentionally loosened. If I hear more from him I will pass it along.

Sorry that was not clear on my original post.