Bluebirds

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Pro Con - Do You Tow One?

We bought a 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid SEL model 14 mo ago and have been using as our dinghy behind a Winnebago Journey 36M. The C-Max was a fuel efficient low weight choice. But after multiple wrecker tows for dead batteries (12v goes dead, Ford tried lots of "attempts" but seems still unable to END / fully resolve parasitic drains, and/ or how the computer calculates, regulates keeping the 12v battery fully charged. More details at www.fordcmaxhybridforum.com ).

We have found a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland model we love, but before jumping into the unknown ( it would be our first Jeep), we have two questions fo.r those on this forum who drive 2014 GC with Quadra Drive II /Quadra Track II GC.

1) reading on-line PDF of owners manual, seems quite a few steps (14 steps and 4-5 notes) to set for flat towing, ditto to resume normal driving. those who have a GC please tell us pros cons from your experience?
2) Om also mentions special step for GC with air lift suspension, which Overland we like does have. those who have this feature on your GC, advice? note, we would also consider finding a Limited GC model with options we want, that didn't have air suspension. Pro cons which GC model?

thanks so much!

Bluebrids,

Have a question for you.

Does the Jeep your looking at have there new 9 speed transmission?

Been reading where they are having some software issues with the system and are way behind in getting them out to the dealers.

Rich.

Hi Rich & Lois -- the 2014 Grand Cherokee overland has the 8 speed tran. Note, salesman did mention a "new" smaller size line called just "Cherokee" which are not shipped to dealers yet, and those will have 9 speed trans. Salesman said Jeep is delayed getting them out while working out software things?

Hope this helps. We too have been looking seriously at the 2014 Jeep (Summit model) for towing behind our 42 ft Signature. At the moment still using our 2003 Acura MDX which has 310,000 km and not caused us a moment of grief! I would buy another in an nanosecond but unfortunately after 2003 the MDX's were not flat towable. Thus our search for a replacement.

We loved the new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.....it looks great, significantly upgraded interior, all the newest technology, new 8 speed trans, quiet and comfortable and still outstanding off road capabilities. Price in Canada for the Summit (V-6) pushing $56,000 plus tax.....and this with the Chrysler Advantage Programme pricing. Diesel available (soon) would push the price to $62,000. Loved the car and would have jumped to a deal but decided to do some due dillegence first. As I researched the Jeep GC it quickly became clear this vehicle was not ready for prime time. Chrysler has a legacy of poor QC and a US dealership network that seems disinterested and incapable of dealing with and fixing issues on customers' cars. The dealership situation in Canada seems not to be nearly as bad. Just check out all the Tech Service Bulletins and TTF's that have been issued....many fixing the previous fix.....quite unbelievable and unacceptable. There is a really good web site dedicated to Jeep owners......www.jeepgarage.com.......check it out if you are considering a 2014 Jeep GC.....will likely save you a lot of grief and $$$$!

My advice would be to at least wait until all problems with this vehicle have been identified and fixed. Otherwise you'll be rolling the dice big time on reliability. As MH travelers we don't want to be having toad issues while miles away from our selling dealer and home base...there are always lots of other issues to deal with while on the road.....don't need any more when it is entirely avoidable. Chrysler is now producing what they are calling 2014.5 models but any research will show that problems persist. Personally I have decided to wait and see if things get turned around with this vehicle before making any final decisions. I am going to give the diesel a try in the spring and go from there. I continue to follow the user experiences closely and to be honest I'm not hopeful and as with the introduction of most major model changes, the first year is generally one to avoid. In the meantime I'm awaiting FMCA's list of 2014 towables to see what other options exist. Best of luck to all!

I would give the new GC a year or so of life and experience before I purchased one. Having said that, I would do the same for any new automobile that is in the first year after a major overhauling and revamping. We have had multiple Jeeps, Cherokees, a Liberty, a 2007 Diesel Grand Cherokee, a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon, and now a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland. The Overland is by far the plushest and most comfortable of the bunch. We have towed it for over 10k miles with no troubles. It does have the air suspension, and I have towed it with the suspension up and down. (Just forgot to raise it before towing.) We always lower the suspension when we park because my wife has had a hip replacement and lowering the suspension makes it much easier for her to get in and out. The hip replacement is the reason for trading the Wrangler for the GC. (I really wish that I could have my Wrangler back, but sometimes you have to make allowances for health issues.)

Thanks to all.

Also, Frank & Kay - (towing 2012 overland now), toad tail lights? Diodes on mgr wire harness, or did you run separate bulbs & wire from baseplate to taillight capsule? We note that Blue ox has smaller LED bulb taillight wiring kits listed avail. For 2011-2014 Jeep GC. Which wiring do you have on your overland ? Our C-max used separate bulb & separate wiring (not spliced/no diodes needed).

We felt that would be less chance for causing unexpected elect.issues and thus, less likely mgr would use towing as excuse if there were warranty claims, etc.

We appreciate any comments and ' current use' data . thx!

Separate wiring and bulbs in the tail light housing, Blue Ox, I think, but not sure since I did not do the physical installation. I don't think that it's LED. I did wire the Liberty, it was not too difficult. I had a place to work on things back then! (Before fulltiming) Today's automobiles have the electronics so deeply imbedded in them that I would be afraid to do anything that got into the electrical system!

We tow a 2014 Jeep Overland - the owners manual printed is not up to date ( it's the 2012 system and was not rewritten for 13 or 14) we use Blue Ox and when I hook-up I place the shifter in neutral, press the release to release the drive train, check it by shifting to reverse to be sure it's in neutral then back to park, it stays in neutral until the engine is stopped and automatically goes to park. That's it - takes less than 30 seconds.

We have flat towed the Overland more that 10,000 mile since we purchased it in July.

Just purchased a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee and absolutely love it. We tow it behind a 2009 Fleetwood Discovery, with a DEMCO commander tow bar and base plate. I previously towed a 2006 Jeep Wrangler with the M & G brake system. Loved that. Unfortunately, the M & G does not fit the new Grand Cherokees. Opted for the Air Force One brake system and am very pleased. As far as setting up the GC for towing, piece of cake. Just follow the instructions in the owners manual and you can't go wrong. I think you'll find that the instructions are pretty straight forward. I was a little confused when I first read them, but once in the GC and going through them step by step, they fall into place and make perfect since. Have towed the GC approximately 1300 miles since purchasing in SEP and no problems with towing or with the GC either. Hopefully I will have no problems.

Brian

We bought a 2013 Jeep GC Limited in February, just a few weeks before the 2014's came out. We moved up from a Jeep Wrangler we had been towing for about five years.

We love the GC. No issues. It is very easy to shift into tow mode - put it in neutral and push a button. Then remove the key and you are good to go! Much simpler than the Wrangler, and we thought it was a pretty easy tow.

We have 13k on the new car so far and no problems to report.

We have towed our 2014 Grand Cherokee over 4000 miles and drove the vehicle over 4000 miles and we love it. We needed a software update to correct an occasional rough low speed shift, other than that we had no problems with the vehicle.

We just purchased a 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland and I'm going to get it ready to tow behind our coach. I'm planning to install a Blue Ox BX1128 baseplate, but how did you Overland owners mount the electrical connector? Normally I would mount it in the center of the lower fascia, but that's where the adaptive cruise control sensor is mounted. Would appreciate a picture of your installation(s) if possible!

Does anyone know if you put the key back in the "off" position and remove the key after putting a 2005 Jeep GC 4 x 4 in neutral for towing?

Instructions don't say anything and our battery was dead after our first time towing. We left the key in the first "on", or accessory position since we don't know.

Thanks!

I tow a 2005 Jeep Wrangler that has a locking steering wheel therefore I need to leave the key in the first on position. I'm not sure if the Cherokee has a locking steering wheel but if it does, the key must be left in an on position. If your battery is dead after towing, you may simply have a weak battery. If you're using a "brake in a box" type braking system, that will also consume battery power.

You also state you tow "in neutral". I have a 2005 and 2014 Wrangler automatic and both manuals are specific that the transfer case be in neutral and the transmission be in park.

If you don't have a manual, you can Goggle it.

After putting it in neutral I do put it in park. After talking to another owner of a similar Jeep he states that after putting it in neutral for towing he turns his ignition off and removes the key and locks the door. When parked I checked and my steering does not lock so I will turn the ignition to the off position and remove my key the next time I tow. My manual does not mention any of this, just the steps to get it in neutral for towing. Operator error I'm sure! Thank you for your input.

After putting it in neutral I do put it in park. After talking to another owner of a similar Jeep he states that after putting it in neutral for towing he turns his ignition off and removes the key and locks the door. When parked I checked and my steering does not lock so I will turn the ignition to the off position and remove my key the next time I tow. My manual does not mention any of this, just the steps to get it in neutral for towing. Operator error I'm sure! Thank you for your input.

I don't believe that following the directions as printed is "operator error". Maybe operator error on the part of the "manual writer", but not necessarily on your part. I do believe that I would go to the Jeep web site and download the latest version of the owners/operators manual. I looked at it and it appears to be correct, at least in that section.

I don't believe that following the directions as printed is "operator error". Maybe operator error on the part of the "manual writer", but not necessarily on your part. I do believe that I would go to the Jeep web site and download the latest version of the owners/operators manual. I looked at it and it appears to be correct, at least in that section.

I agree Kingfr ---------------we tow a 2005 Liberty, which does have locking steering when in park; must leave in "off" position so steering functions appropriately while in tow mode.

However, I have a "dumb key" which only works the ignition switch, but won't run the engine. I use that to condition for towing, and leave that key in switch. I then have my "smart key" fob wherewith to lock doors while being towed/parked, etc.

We sold our Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and purchased a new 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland to tow behind our MH. We finally received the tow brackets and took to our local mechanic who was an ex Jeep mechanic, and he said he could install the brackets, but could not wire it, due to lack of jeep wiring info.

So I am now trying to figure out how to have the GC wired to tow.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks to all who replied to our Q's.

Kingfr thanks for sharing that that your GC has separate wires/ bulbs for tail lights on toad. It has been a while, but we finally! can share an update fwiw to others what we did.

We have a Ford dealer in the area that is listed on the Blue Ox website for baseplate and tail light wiring install. We told them NO diodes, and asked them to order BX8869 (separate bulb & wire, no diodes), and BX1128 baseplate (for 2014 Jeep GC). However, service guy said he would recommend LED wiring kit because bulb would last longer, be brighter (and still be separate bulbs& wiring).

When they rec'd parts, they scheduled our Jeep. We took the jeep in on a Monday, but Ford dealer

called next day ... The light kit they rec'd was diodes, the service guy told mechanics to hold off. He

called BO, who told Ford guy BO was having some type of problems with LEDs,, so BO had substituted

a diode kit instead. (It could be someone at Ford dealer ordered wrong, or it could be BO did substitute

as Ford guy said? Anyone else hearing of the LED issue? We hadn't.).

Okay, Ford kept baseplate, returned diode kit, and ordered what we originally asked for, BX8869 wiring

kit. (this whole ordering, reordering process took about 3 weeks or so).

Last week, we took the Jeep back to Ford dealer on Mon, then on Friday a.m., Ford dealer called, said

they needed to know how to wire the tail light connector on the front of the jeep so that brake lights et al

were wired to correct pins -- that would need to match wiring on MH trailer connector. We went to our

operator's manual for our WBG, Journey, and emailed a pdf page to the Ford dealer. They finished

everything up that same day, and we picked it up with baseplate and separate bulbs/wiring done on

Friday. whew!

Now, ael3133 asked what to tell mechanic for "wiring Jeep"? Don't know if you already have what

mechanic needed to know, but if your op manual doesn't tell you what order the MH pins are arranged,

our Ford guy said they have two other options: bring MH and they test each pin and wire toad to

match, or to call manufacturer of MH and have MH trailer connector pin diagram FAXd to dealer and

wire toad to match. We love the GC, but have had the snowiest, coldest (subzero) winter in many

years...we haven't had a chance to tow the GC yet, but looking forward to happy MH trips in a month or so :-).

Thanks again for everyone's help ... We are still newbies with much to learn .