Sign in to follow this  
rlbarkleyii

Oil Analysis Lead Abnormal Allison 2000

Just got the results of oil analysis on Allison 2000 tranny oil. All was within normal limits except lead which was slightly abnormal. normal was <50, my reading was 58. This unit is new to me and this is the first sample for me after aprox 10K miles. Plan on shortening the next sample interval, and re-test. Analysis company indicated lead may come from clutches.

Anyone experianced this type of abnormalty?

WoW,

I did not know the RV industry was doing this type testing on MH transmissions. We have been doing oil testing for many years on aircraft engines which varies depending on what is found in the sample.

The sample can drive maintenance to remove the engine and will pin point the cause in most cases or at least tell you if it is a bearing or carbon seal. The oil should be drained and flushed at least once before ( a few hundred miles between oil samples) retesting to make sure the level of lead is maintaining the above normal level or if it is increasing. The second test once done will tell you how quickly you need to get it fixed.

This is how we handle the oil testing in the Military Aviation industry so the same should work for your problem solving.

rlbarkleyii, you may want to check out www.irv2.com It is a forum that has an entire thread on Allison transmissions, including a section that is authored by a retired Allison engineer who helped develop Transynd. He can answer any technical questions you have.

The first thing to do is sample aging in say 1000 miles. We want to see if the lead levels in crease or what is going on. I would not change the oil till you get a second sample as what you need is more than one sample on the oil. Oil analysis is basically trend analysis.

I wouldn’t get to worried the lead is only 8 ppm over the normal if it was 30 -60 over I would be concerned. I will be interested in what your next report says. When you change your fluid I recommend you use Transend.

I use to work in an oil lab doing Spectrometric oil analysis.

Bill