Sign in to follow this  
sculligan29

Decisions, Decisions 1st Time Buyer

Hello everyone my name is Shawn, my wife and I are USAF veterans who are looking to become full time RVers

We burned the ships and are all in on this, we have a 2 year old and feel we can get away with the full time RVing until she gets a little older. I have done my homework as best I can reading countless articles on the internet, i.e. forums/blogs/reviews. I have had extended conversations with anyone who will talk RV with me, and I feel I had have at the least became informed.

So here is my question for you, I am trying to decide between 3 different units:

A 2002 Holiday Rambler Ambassador, 2 slides, 350 Cummins, 71000 miles the tires have about 1-2 years left, fiberglass roof, looks used and dated inside but everything is good to go Gen/oil/exterior/slide seals/engine/etc $39000.

A 2003 Four Winds Mandalay 330 CAT 4 slides, 71000 miles, gorgeous inside, tires dated 2012, $6000 motorcycle hydra lift on back (not that important to me), had the turbo replaced on engine recently (warranty), generator has just been serviced, all fresh oils just changed on unit, full paint, it seemed a bit sluggish when I drove it but it is a heavy unit, $67000.

And a 2003 National Tradewinds, 56,000 miles, 350 Cummins, full paint, new roof, new front tires, new awning covers, generator and engine just had all servicing, 2 slides, $50,000. I am kind of leaning in the middle with the Tradewinds.

I am prequalified to buy a unit when I find "the one", and will be purchasing at least a three year warranty. Does anyone have any comments on these models pros/cons, craftsmanship considerations, durability, etc. or could you provide any insight for me to help me make a better informed decision? Thanks in advance for your valued input, look forward to chatting with you!!

I would need more information but look like the 2003 Mandalay is the best if size is equal. Why didn't I pick the Holiday Rambler is for the reason when I got mine I had to have lots of repairs to get it right. Lucky for me the dealer paid and did for most of it even though they sold it to me as is. I picked a dealer with a very good reputation and they proved it.