fredhgross

Hooking Up Toad Problem

We are new members in FMCA.

Since making the big switch and upgrade from a 5th wheel to 40 ft coach I have a new problem. The coach is new and as part of the delivery the dealer techs went through the process sequence of hookup of our 2008 Saturn Vue. At that time everything went fine.

But somewhere between the delivery in June 'til now the memory (mine) lost a critical step. Our toad brake system is an M&G. Our tow rig is Blue Ox.

Now the problem. Hookup goes OK until I set up he car for towing. The process I am using will not unlock the steering. The car owners manual is incomplete in the section for towing. As mentioned earlier our Saturn is an 2008 Vue XR with V6 and automatic trans.

Does anyone have suggestions to remedy my problem?

Fred & Ila Gross

F434694

I tow a 2001 Saturn SC2. I put the key between the off and accessory and that unlocks the steering wheel and does not turn on any battery draining accesories. You must leave the key in the lock so I use the valet key. I then lock the doors and go if all else is done. bebop Bill Forrest

I have a 2007 Saturn Vue. I put trans in neutral , turn key to accessory position, open hood and remove green fuse in the fuse box. It is the 30 amp large fuse third from driver side of box. The Vue most be run for at least three minutes before towing and three minutes every 7 hours after. You must replace the fuse to start the engine.

I also tow a 2008 Saturn Vue XR with the M&G brake system. I have a Roadmaster tow bar but that does not change anything.

I shift the trans into neutral and make sure the key is in the accessory position to unlock the steering. There is a fuse that needs to be pulled, I do not remember which, if you look around in the pax side fuse box it is pretty easy to figure out, I installed a fused switch to disable it so you do not have to pull the fuse every time, just use the switch.

Mileage does not accrue, and I have never had a dead battery even when I do an overnight and do not start the motor.

I also use a dummy key, not the smart key anti-theft, and then you don’t have to worry about anyone breaking a window and driving off with your car.

I use the key fob to lock the doors but do not press it twice so I do not set the alarm. So it will not go off while towing.

Remember that Saturn recommends not towing it over 65 MPH.

The 04 to 07 V-6 engine Vue's Saturn used the Honda engine and Trans and you must go from low or drive with the engine running to N before towing or you will be looking for a new Transmission. I like the charge line better than removing a fuse, I also like the dummy key idea or a key without the chip to tow.

Walt

2000 Dyn F191141

2013 F150 CC 4X4

To the original poster, the manual states:

-----------------

To tow your vehicle from the front with all four wheels on the ground:
1. Position and attach the vehicle to tow it behind the recreational vehicle.
2. Turn the ignition key to ACC/ACCESSORY.
3. Shift the transmission to NEUTRAL (N).
4. Turn fog lamps and all accessories off.
5. Remove the IGN SW fuse from the Instrument Panel Fuse Block. See Instrument Panel Fuse Block on page 5-97

---------------

If that process does not work to unlock the steering wheel, seek help from a GM dealer. They should be able to assist you.

Wayne77590's respone is the correct process. I have towed my 2008 Vue XR over 30,000 miles with no problem. As far as running, shifting, and speed, I just start for a few minutes before I begin the trip, and then let run for a few minutes after I arrive at my stop for the night. You can find a copy of the manual online with the fuse location diagram. With the fuse pulled it will not start; so, I wouldn't get overly concerned about someone stealing the car at a fuel or rest stop. BTW the fuse is located in the fuse panel by the passengers feet, not under the hood. It is a 2 amp fuse.