Daisley7

F-53 Fuel Pump

Hello. I'm new here, and wanted to share this helpful tip:

I've read many Internet posts about the poor reliability of the Ford F-53 chassis fuel pumps. This pump requires that the gas tank be dropped, as the pump is inside the tank. The first big issue is to find a place for 200 litres of gas, which need to be removed before starting the repair. This is a hugely labor-intensive repair, and can be quite pricey and time consuming.

My coach design is such that I was able to cut an 11" x 11" access hatch in the floor, directly above the fuel pump. To gain access to this opening, I simply drained most of the fresh water from my water tank, under the rear bed, and pushed it aside. Then I had fabricated a metal plate to cover the opening, which allows changing the fuel pump in a matter of about 20 minutes. I could now change that pump on the side of the road, if I needed to! Once the hatch cover is in place, there's a piece of insulation that fits back in, and the original carpet square pops back into place. As it is below the bed, you really don't see it anyhow.

I realize all coaches aren't designed such that one could put in this type of hatch, but it's certainly worth looking into. If you can do it, it has potential to save you a lot of frustration and $$$$. I don't understand why the manufacturers don't provide convenient access like this.

It is exactly as E-TEC describes above except on a school bus the hole is smaller for just the fuel gauge. You make the cover out of light metal a little larger then the size of the hole that you cut. Use sheet metal screws to fasten the metal cover to the wood cutout piece, a little caulking around the hole, and a few screws around the edge and the hole is resealed. (Use self tapping sheet metal screws)

Note: Most motor homes have sewer holding tanks in this area requiring the fuel tank to be siphoned dry and lowered.