Sign in to follow this  
jimpat4649

Veterans Day 2013: Businesses Offering Discounts To Veterans

This year we went to Smokey Bones, in Chattanooga, Tn where we go a few times a year for their BBQ. They were listed as participating in the Veterans Appreciation Day.

Lat year we went and had a great meal.

This year we went back and inquired at the entrance. The young lady replied that it was either a piece of corn bread or a doughnut this year.

Of course it was a deliberate insult. We won't be going back but they won't miss us. They do a brisk business.

What they did was offer what might be offered a bum.

Clearly they don't appreciate Veterans. What a n insult and not one to  be forgotten.

I emailed the HO about it inquiring if this was right and no response at all.

I would have to look on the bright side and realize that they could offer nothing.  Businesses have to do "what they can," and who am I to criticize their policy of "free" food. last year and previous years could have been "bumper crop" years for them and this year it could have been "survival."

They can do whatever they want. However according to their site it was as before.

Bumper year. They stay full.

This is a national franchise. The one there is owned by the same Fellow who owns a couple other different franchises that did similar, I understand, now.

Had I know I would not have gone there. I suppose we spend less than a thousand a year there, or about 20 visits maybe.

No thy didn't say they weren't participating. They deliberately threw an insult out.

I can afford to pay my own way.

Be thankful that some business' offer extras to Vet.s and Active Duty Service personal. I never get upset if a business doesn't offer some discount or other consideration to Vets. I will remember those that do and visit when possible. But hay remember your server. When Apple Bees, for example, has their free menu on special days remember that the server still provides you the service and deserves the same gratuity you would for the same meal any other time. I always tip according to what the regular price of the meal is and not on the discounted price.

Again as always IMHO.

Herman  

Not upset at all if no one offers Vets a discount or like this incident, on the web and as last year and perhaps before they were recognizing or appreciating Vets as many places did with free meals.

Went there with expectation as offered only to find when we arrived, that an insult was offered: a piece of cornbread or a doughnut. I rightfully felt insulted. This was like saying come to the back door for a piece off bread.

We usually leave a ten dollar tip. Most Vets leave a generous tip I understand. The Staff really makes a killing off it, probably.

We went to Famous Daves and ate. When I asked for the check they said I was a Vet, obviously, and it was free. She got a nice tip instead of the usual 20%. Not sure if we had ordered a big meal if it would have been thus. had more than we could eat as it was.

Wayne, Herman.  I agree...we don't know what the times are like for the owner.  Between business tax, personal tax, new long term investment tax and OBama Care penalties!  I would not be insulted, just laugh and say kidding and order! :)

I always ask if they have 3 different discounts; Military, Senior Citizen, and Good Looking.  I don't understand at all when they chuckle or our right laugh at the last one.

Herman,

It is a responsibility of all veterans to keep other veterans in check. So, without saying anything, two out of three is not to bad!!!