fowlermk

Which Tire Pressure Monitoring System is Best?

fowlermk,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

At a recent FMCA Convention, I heard a tire expert's evaluation that I thought was great:

"If you are comfortable covering up your engine oil pressure gauge and temperature gauge and driving on your trip, you don't need a TPMS!"

In other words, it is another of the critical warning gauges/systems that can alert you to a failure before it causes major damage or worse, an accident.

I would not look for only a 6 sensor system. Assuming you have 6 tires on your RV, I would get a 10 sensor system so that your toad is also monitored.

As far as system, we have had the PressurePro system for the last 4 years with zero problems.

http://advantagepressurepro.com/index.asp?PageTypeId=3&PageDetailId=59

There are several other systems that receive good reviews. I would not (yes, my opinion) get one from a company that bought a bunch of sensors and monitors overseas and is just putting together kits-- with the likelihood that they won't be there for support or parts in the future. I would go with a company that has been in business awhile and I have every reason to believe will be there if I need support in the future.

There are several discussion on the various systems right here on the forum. Go to "Weight and tire safety".

I bought a Pressure Pro system 4 years ago, has performed great ever since.

Have had to call for assistance when I was too stupid to understand and follow book directions-- they were great to help.

I bought the remote antennae to be sure to get a signal from toad. Don't think i would have needed too but i did.

My system will handle up to 30 tires.

Dave

We purchased the Pressure Pro System with 10 monitors (6 on the coach + 4 on toad) when we bought our coach. I'm sure there are other excellent systems on the market but we have been extremely satisfied with our Pressure Pro. Wouldn't want to travel extensively without it and wouldn't tow without one period.

The only issue I've had, is just recently, I've had to replace a couple monitors simply because I left the monitors on the tires during extended storage which reduced battery life. I now remove the monitors while in storage "LIKE THE INSTRUCTIONS SAID". Sometimes I'm my own worst enemy!!

Best of luck to you on your decision

We bought a Tire Minder and are basically satisfied. We bought a 10 transmitter system with the booster amp package and it seems to work fine. I am not sure I needed the aux. amp but I bought it.

On the plus side, at around 50 psi. the reported pressure on the screen is within a fraction of a pound of 2 different tire gauges. This unit has replaceable batteries and the factory will furnish new batteries yearly for 4 years. On the minus side, at around 100 psi. the sending units are plus or minus around 5 psi. As long as the pressure stays steady, the unit doesn't seem to care. I have had minimal false alarms. One sending unit is a little unstable but I haven't taken the time to get it replaced.

Overall I wouldn't be without one and would buy this unit again.

Replaceable batteries vs non replaceable batteries in the sensors???? Seems that replacing a battery would be more practical and less expensive but I see some systems require replacing the entire sensor. What are the issues??

I use Tire Minders on mine and they work very good. They have replaceable batteries and the company will supply you with the new batteries.

I was not aware that Bendix was marketing their system to the RV market. Thought this was strictly an OTR truck item.

At least that is what our area Bendix rep told me when I was shopping for a TPMS.

Otherwise, check your pressures regularly, and then check the temps with

an infrared heat gauge. A low tire will run hot.

Kind of difficult to get a decent reading on the heat gauge when you're rolling down the road at 60 mph... :D

I have one of the grand kids hang out the window and shoot the temps. :)

And I don't think Bendix is market to the RV industry, by my tire guy says he can purchase and install them for me. I'm waiting till new tire time,

cause I'm going to need 4 on the rear, which is soon.

Hope all my information is accurate, sure seems like the way to go.

I have had Pressure Pro since 2007 and now have 12 sensors sytem which interfaces with the SilverLeaf VMS program.

John

08 Country Coach Intrigue

10 Ford Escape

We purchased our system from Always Shiny Wheels (ASW) at the FMCA international convention in St. Paul in 2010. It was a 507RV monitoring system manufactured by Truck System Technologies (TST). It monitored all of our motorhome and car tires. The first unit sent had a defect in the brain and ASW immediately sent a replacement immediately to us while we were on the road. The unit can be programmed for whatever operating parameters you like for pressure and temperature of each tire. We sold the original TST with our motorhome last year. I purchased an identical unit from ASW when we ordered our new motorhome and carried it with me to the dealer so I could install in on the motorhome before I drove it off the lot. The units can be purchased directly from TST, but ASW offers them at the manufacturers price, and ASW's customer service can't be beat.

Note: We installed a repeater on the new unit we purchased because our motorhome was longer (43'). It greatly improved the reception on the tag axle and the tow vehicle's tires.

I bought the TST system. I was so glad I did.. last year it alarmed and I had right rear dully going down. I was able to

pull off before tire failed. Got it fixed. I bought a toad, got four more units and couldn/t be happier.

I'm an old gramma and they walked me thru the set up and stayed on phone with me until all tires were done.

I mentioned I would be at a convention and they said they would be there & to stop by. I did and they had my name on their sheet and asked if they could come out and check everything.. they did and everything waw OK.

After my long call in setting up my system the owner called and followed up with me.

They also have a forum on irv2.com.

Excellent.. I refer them any time.. My brother bought a system and is happy and two of my friends in LOWs. Feel very safe with a TPMS... I guess I would suggest just get one. Pressure Pro or TST or whatever.. just be safe out there.

GrammaDy

I bought the TST system with replaceable batteries and the sensors you can add air thru. I am not happy with the system as I was told by the company (TST) that it can take up to 20 minutes to get a reading and sure enough on one of my sensors it takes forever to get a reading. So much for checking my tire pressures before leaving camp. Also, one of the units falsely indicated a complete loss of air on one trip. Only did it once but I no longer have confidence in the system. Feel like I wasted my money.

I've found that it can take several minutes for all my sensors on my TST system to connect to the display, but it's easy to get around that issue. When we get up on the morning that we're hitting the road the first thing I do is to power up the system. Now I can go and do my breakdown chores (dump the tanks, put away outside stuff, etc.) and by then all tires are reporting in so I can check them and hit the road. If any tires need air it's a simple task to haul out the compressor and take care of it.

I just ordered the TST 507rv. All the TPMS's noted above seem like very good units and don't think one can go wrong ordering any of the top brands. I called TST directly, spoke to their rep who was very helpful in answering my questions. When I informed them that I found the exact unit on ebay for $10 less than TST's quoted price, they matched the price. I've already received a UPS notification that the 8 system unit has been shipped. Great customer service was mentioned in many of the reviews I read, and they certainly lived up to the high expectations.

We have Pressure Pro for 6 years, my sensors are starting to need new batteries, other than that the system saved us two times. One leaking valve stem extension and one failed Goodyear tire starting to shed the tread, if it hadn't been for the system I would have not know until the tire came thru the floor there was a problem.

I purchased the 10 sensor TST system May 2013 and installed them. They have worked great in providing psi/temps on all tires. I did not need the extended antenna for the 34' MH. I did not want the air through sensors, as I am a retired control freak and like to occasionally keep my finger on the stem! Keep it simple works for me. Notice I didn't say keep it simple stupid! Kiss concept! :rolleyes:

They power up in the AM within a few minutes and ready for psi/temp review before leaving.

I have not had to change the batteries yet, but I can change them myself. When researching there was good reviews on the well known systems. Customer service, ease/inexpensive battery replacement, and reliability is why I went with TST. Glad they have several reliable companies to choose different systems.

Now that I added the Chrome duallyvalve kit, I can easily remove/install sensors and air up the tires easily.

IMAG0556.jpg

I'd use what the truckers use.

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/tpms_1/BW2755_SmarTire_Overview_7-09.pdf

Otherwise, check your pressures regularly, and then check the temps with

an infrared heat gauge. A low tire will run hot.

There is high probability that you may not happen to stop at just the right time t0 check the leaking tire. If you loose 20% of your air and have driven on the tire it is considered to be "flat" and any use at that level can do internal structural damage that can result in a failure an hour, day or week later.

IR is OK for checking the temp of conductive material like metals but rubber is a good insulator so the heat that is damaging the structure does not flow quickly out of the tire. Also there are LARGE temperature variations over very short distances of a tire so there is high probability you will miss the hot spot. Here are two posts with data on a comparison test I ran.

It can only take a few minutes for a tire to loose enough air for you to damage it, so unless you stop every 5 to 10 minutes you can't check it enough with a hand gauge.

We have Pressure Pro for 6 years, my sensors are starting to need new batteries, other than that the system saved us two times. One leaking valve stem extension and one failed Goodyear tire starting to shed the tread, if it hadn't been for the system I would have not know until the tire came thru the floor there was a problem.

When looking at cost I suggest you do a comparison based on the expected replacement cost of replacement sensors if you can't install batteries yourself.

Example non-replaceable batteries 6 years so include the cost of a set on new sensors vs the cost or replacing batteries every two or three years. (three sets ar $1.50 per battery for example)

Find out which TPMS that RV maintenance expert Mark Polk prefers:

Polk’s Top 7 Reasons for Using a Tire Pressure Monitoring System

Mark covers the Why have TPMS.

I have a post on the same topic.

At my FMCA Tire Seminars I refuse to be brand specific. As an engineer I look at features such as Multi-year total cost, Length of warranty, Ability to set low pressure warning pressure and a feature I do not think all systems have, The ability to give an early warning when you loose x psi from the hot pressure.

Imagine your cold pressure is 100 psi. You set the low warning at -15% or 85psi. When driving you might have a hot pressure of 120 psi. Now suppose you get a leak. Would you rather get a warning when you loose 3 or 6 psi over a few minutes from the 120 psi or would you think it OK to only be warned after you loose 35 psi down from the hot pressure.

In my opinion getting that "Early Warning" allows you to slow down and start looking for an exit or safe place to pull over as you monitor the air loss over then next 5 to 20 minutes.

If you only get the single warning it may already be too late to save and repair the tire.