fowlermk

Which Tire Pressure Monitoring System is Best?

Mark covers the Why have TPMS.

I have a post on the same topic.

At my FMCA Tire Seminars I refuse to be brand specific. As an engineer I look at features such as Multi-year total cost, Length of warranty, Ability to set low pressure warning pressure and a feature I do not think all systems have, The ability to give an early warning when you loose x psi from the hot pressure.

Imagine your cold pressure is 100 psi. You set the low warning at -15% or 85psi. When driving you might have a hot pressure of 120 psi. Now suppose you get a leak. Would you rather get a warning when you loose 3 or 6 psi over a few minutes from the 120 psi or would you think it OK to only be warned after you loose 35 psi down from the hot pressure.

In my opinion getting that "Early Warning" allows you to slow down and start looking for an exit or safe place to pull over as you monitor the air loss over then next 5 to 20 minutes.

If you only get the single warning it may already be too late to save and repair the tire.

If I remember correctly, the recommendation for the tpms setting was 15-20%.

If I am reading your post correctly. Then it would be better to set the low psi mark at 3-6 lbs level. If so, I am thinking along about 5lbs, due to the fluctuation I am seeing of about 3-4 pounds from cool morning (depending on outside temps) leaving tire pressure to getting up to driving speed.

Looks like I may be re-setting the low psi mark,,,,,where did I put the instructions. Thanks for input.

Just out of curiousity, how well do these sensors work when its -30, If anyone knows please let me know. Thanks, Smokeater75

You have more than TPMS to think about at -30°F all rubber parts get harder. Some can even crack if flexed.

The batteries in the sensor may be a problem also. Have you reviewed the specs on the sensors? I know that more than one brand indicates -4°F as bottom or range.

If I remember correctly, the recommendation for the tpms setting was 15-20%.

If I am reading your post correctly. Then it would be better to set the low psi mark at 3-6 lbs level. If so, I am thinking along about 5lbs, due to the fluctuation I am seeing of about 3-4 pounds from cool morning (depending on outside temps) leaving tire pressure to getting up to driving speed.

Looks like I may be re-setting the low psi mark,,,,,where did I put the instructions. Thanks for input.

I think most systems have the Low warning at -15% of the cold set pressure. Some allow you to keep the cold set pressure and set the low warning separately. Others are always a function of x% below the cold set pressure. If you can't set a specific low pressure ( I would suggest -10% as reasonable and conservative then I suggest you increase the "cold set" pressure to be 5% above what you normally run. This offset will give you the low warning your are most concerend about.

This is one example of why it's good to have the instructions. B)

I always keep the instructions for just that reason. I'm going to reset the lows when I get a chance and before we head out.

Thanks again for the info and patient explanations. Filled in some blanks.

Safe travels

After much investigation, I purchased a TST system from www.technorv.com. I learned that TST uses GE circuitry. It is the things you can’t see that makes the TST great. TST has roots in the trucking industry, and their quality keeps up with million mile trucks, so that is good enough for my RV. I love how the monitor screen scrolls through the tire data as you are going down the road so at a quick glance you can see what is going on, not all systems do this. TST also has available flow thru sensors. Then there are systems with user replaceable sensor batteries or a system that has 5 year sensor batteries, that are not user replaceable (You send back to TST after 5 years and they replace them for you for a fee). TechnoRV has installation videos for both types of systems, and was very helpful during the buying process.

All cars/light trucks in the last few years by law have built in TPMS's.

Have never heard of issues between them.

I know with our Pressure Pro system when driving the toad by itself, we take our Pressure Pro monitor with us, as we can then tell within one pound/sq inch what pressure is both before driving and while driving.  No interference with the car's built in system.

On June 9, 2016 at 9:52 PM, dlfishing said:

Are there any issues with the TPMS being discussed here and vehicles with built in monitoring?

I use both Tire Minder and the oem tpms on my Prius when I tow it on the dolly.  I have 2 transmitters on the tow dolly and 2 on the rear of the car.  Works just fine.

On 12/2/2016 at 9:35 AM, desertdeals690 said:

I use both Tire Minder and the oem tpms on my Prius when I tow it on the dolly.  I have 2 transmitters on the tow dolly and 2 on the rear of the car.  Works just fine.

Sounds like you got a good set-up and have yourself covered.

I have the TST system with two monitors. In the RV it monitors all 10 tires, RV and Toad.  Shut it off when at camp site.  In toad I have a separate TST monitor and the built in tire monitor. The built in only monitors "Low Pressure," so the TST gives me specific pressures.  Works for me.

One of my Christmas 2016 wish list items is a tire pressure monitoring system.   Since the original post and responses for this discussion are 2-3 years old, are there any updates for the "which tire pressure monitoring system is best" question?   My two sons said they think the monitoring system would be a great Christmas gift for them to jointly provide.  I need a ten tire system for my motorhome and Jeep.

I look forward to your responses!

1 hour ago, fagnaml said:

One of my Christmas 2016 wish list items is a tire pressure monitoring system.   Since the original post and responses for this discussion are 2-3 years old, are there any updates for the "which tire pressure monitoring system is best" question?   My two sons said they think the monitoring system would be a great Christmas gift for them to jointly provide.  I need a ten tire system for my motorhome and Jeep.

I look forward to your responses!

I, too, am looking for a new tpms. maybe for Christmas.  I have narrowed the choices down to either TST 507, or the EEZRV system.  I've read good reviews on both and am still trying to decide which.:lol: Any experience with either would be helpful.

Our very basic 2012 Subaru Forester has built in tire pressure monitors. Just a warning light. I notice that sometimes it lights up because the pressure is high. Never know what tire is the problem. Gotta pull over and check. 

4 minutes ago, obedb said:

Our very basic 2012 Subaru Forester has built in tire pressure monitors. Just a warning light. I notice that sometimes it lights up because the pressure is high. Never know what tire is the problem. Gotta pull over and check. 

At least with our PressurePro, a two second job to unplug the tire monitor and plug it into the toad. Set monitor to toad only and monitor toad tire pressure in every tire as we drive the toad.

47 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

At least with our PressurePro, a two second job to unplug the tire monitor and plug it into the toad. Set monitor to toad only and monitor toad tire pressure in every tire as we drive the toad.

With the Tire Minder that reads on your smart phone you just tap on the screen to read toad only and thats all you see.  The phone should always be with you.