Larry46

Engine Batteries Question

I recently purchased a used 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD. After reading a number of forum postings on batteries in general I'm left a little confused.

I live in a retirement community and where I have to park my motorhome there is no electrical power. I understand there is a drain on these batteries while parked. Can I simply remove the negative post connection on the engine batteries to stop the batteries from going dead?

I'm new to class A and any advice as to the correct way to handle this situation would be appreciated.

Thanks

Larry,

Welcome to the Forum and congratulations on your new coach.

You are correct that there some ghost that will draw down your Batteries. Yes you may disconnect the battery cable, and you may also purchase a battery disconnect for your battery. However over a long period of time even a fully charged battery will lose power. If you will be parking your coach for a very long period of time you could remove the Batteries and put them on a trickle charger in you garage. You could also start and drive the unit for a min. of 25 miles so your could charge the batteries and warm up the engine and transmission.

Have a good time with your new purchase.

Herman

Thanks for the advice. Since I will be taking another trip shortly I will most likely just disconnect the negative lead for now. In near future I will look into a better solution.

Thanks again for the help.

You might also consider AGM batteries, they do not self discharge as rapidly as flooded cell batteries.

You'd still need to remove any parasitic loads, either be locating your battery disconnect switch(if you have one), or by removing one cable as you suggested.

You might also consider AGM batteries, they do not self discharge as rapidly as flooded cell batteries.

You'd still need to remove any parasitic loads, either be locating your battery disconnect switch(if you have one), or by removing one cable as you suggested.

I don't understand your reply as the op simply asked" Can I simply remove the negative post connection on the engine batteries to stop the batteries from going dead?"

He never asked for a battery recommendation and he already knows he has parasitic loads.

I installed a trickle charger that charges the engine battery when connected to shore power. It connects where the crossover for emergency start from house batteries is located. Took about ten minutes.

OP has no shore power so your idea wont fly too well the way I see things