747guy

50 Amp Shore Power Trips Shop Breaker

Monaco 2001 40ft Dynasty.

Plugged in shore power(50amp plug) in storage shed, blew shed breaker. Supply is good as another 2012 Monaco was using it.
Disconnected batteries, turned off inverter, still blew breaker. I am a new owner and not sure of components qualifying the shore power.

Everything works OK from Genset.

While plugged in to my house 115/20 amp service using the proper adapters, the relay in the electrical cord bay would click on, and then off. Twenty seconds later it would retry.....click..click. Checking the AC panel, I would have momentary 120 volt indication and very low amp draw indicated, and then it would kick off.

One other thing I did was start the Genset while plugged in to my house. It blew the 20 amp house breaker.

With the above clues, I hope it points to something simple to replace, and if so, where the culprit is located?

The only way I could get AC (120v) from that point on was to run the Genset. Then I took it to storage and the above sequence of events occurred.

It reacts like a dead short in blowing the storage shed breaker

Hope this makes sense.

747 Guy,

Check the connections on the 50 amp shore power cable. The ground connections and L-1 and L-2 power for proper orientation.

They need to be wired properly, but could you post information on any issues on 50 amp service while at Campgrounds this summer.

IF no issues, then it could be an issue with the connections at the storage area. Just because it worked with another 50 Amp coach does not rule it out. You might need an electrician to get things wired correctly.

Rich.

The "point in common" for shore power and generator is the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). If you are safe working around 240 VAC, pull the lid to the ATS and check for bad connection.

Also, check for bad or overheated/melted connection on both ends of shore power cord.

And, to check the outlet with a digital voltmeter:

Outer straights are HOT.

Center straight is NEUTRAL.

Center round is GROUND.

So, either outer to either center round or center straight= 120 VAC

Outer straight to outer straight= 240 VAC

Center straight to center round= 0 VAC

Monaco 2001 40ft Dynasty.

Plugged in shore power(50amp plug) in storage shed, blew shed breaker. Supply is good as another 2012 Monaco was using it.

Disconnected batteries, turned off inverter, still blew breaker. I am a new owner and not sure of components qualifying the shore power.

Everything works OK from Genset.

While plugged in to my house 115/20 amp service using the proper adapters, the relay in the electrical cord bay would click on, and then off. Twenty seconds later it would retry.....click..click. Checking the AC panel, I would have momentary 120 volt indication and very low amp draw indicated, and then it would kick off.

One other thing I did was start the Genset while plugged in to my house. It blew the 20 amp house breaker.

With the above clues, I hope it points to something simple to replace, and if so, where the culprit is located?

The only way I could get AC (120v) from that point on was to run the Genset. Then I took it to storage and the above sequence of events occurred.

It reacts like a dead short in blowing the storage shed breaker

Hope this makes sense.

You most definitely have a problem in the SP service cord and/or ATS.The 120V/20 amp could also be a indication but not for sure.The amount of draw because of what you may have drawing power in the MH as soon as you plug in may cause the 20 amp problem BUT the 50 amp problem is for sure the power cord and or the ATS system.

Since you are in a Storage Shed, I assume that it is a rental. If so the majority of them only have either a 15 or 20 amp breaker. Are you connected to a 50 amp plug or do you have it connected with an adapter? On my 02 Dynasty the 15 amp was only good for keeping the Inverter/ Charger running to maintain charged batteries.

Herman

Rich,

I just purchased this coach in Texas and drove it to B.C. It was plugged in to a proper 50 amp service at MHSRV and everything worked fine. I just used the Genset on the way home as we were at rest areas overnight. The first time I used 120v/20 amp connection was when I reached home. Two adapters,50/30 and 30/15. That seemed to work OK.

I unplugged and ran twenty miles to dump. When I returned and plugged in the 120/15amp, the clicking started at the electrical service bay and I would get 120 V for a few seconds and then it would kick out. I finally resorted to run the Genset and it worked just fine.

Next, I put it in storage at a friends shed who has the 2012 Monaco. When I plugged my coach in to the same outlet (after he removed his plug) my coach kept blowing the breaker in the shed (50amp)??????

I have not been able to get back to check my cord to see if I have a dead short , nor have I been able to examine the ATS relay box.

Wolfe 10

Thanks for the readings I should get in checking the outlet.

What readings should I be getting from the prongs of my power cord, of course unplugged?

Presently I have batteries turned off at switches, and I turned the inverter switch off on the unit.

I am not at the coach at the moment, but am planning on going this afternoon to try and figure out what is going on.

Thanks for your help.

Wolfe 10

Thanks for the readings I should get in checking the outlet.

What readings should I be getting from the prongs of my power cord, of course unplugged?

Presently I have batteries turned off at switches, and I turned the inverter switch off on the unit.

I am not at the coach at the moment, but am planning on going this afternoon to try and figure out what is going on.

Thanks for your help.

Not sure if you read my reply or not BUT I found on my unit plugging into 15 amp service before my ATS would enage properly (was getting the clicking) I had to make sure fridge was off and no other loads were on.I also had to make sure the batteries were charged up and then I could plug in and have the 15 AMP work OK for keeping the batteries charged up and use lite,run slides etc.I found if my batteries(4) were too low the inverter/charger draws more than 15 amps and the ATS will not engage.

Now I realize this does not cause your 50 amp breaker to blow.That as I said is a power cord problem or ATS problem. I had my wires come lose at the ATS switch one time and things worked rather poorly.How was your buying experience with MHSRV? Mine was awful.I found the sales people to be complete and utter liars.

ticat900,

Yes, if the load when you plug into 15 amp outlet exceeds 15 amps, it will pop the breaker. And even if it is below that, if the house wiring to the 15 amp outlet is long/small-gauge, you can draw voltage down to below 108 VAC.

Solutions: Make sure that all 120 VAC appliances are off, particularly water heater. Also, an very importantly, most newer inverter/chargers allow you to set "Power Share or Power Save" which allows you to limit the amps of 120 VAC that the inverter/charger may use for battery charging. Set it to 5 amps. It will still fully charge the batteries and go through the same three stages, it will just take longer, but NOT draw too many amps.

Brett

Just to finish this saga, I replaced the transfer switch and all is well. Clicking in and out has not resurfaced.

Thanks for all your help.

I could not find the "answered" green posting. Where is it please?