Endeavor1

'98 Endeavor DP questions

Just bought a 1998 Endeavor DP a couple of months ago, trading in my Montana trailer. I have spent a lot of time searching for data including, including forum and Internet searching. I purchased a manual for the MD3060 Tranny and a '98 version of the ISB275 engine. I finally got on accessfreightliner.com, which has a wealth of info and part numbers.

An operator manual did not come with the unit even though I have a box full of stuff. I called Holiday Rambler and they are trying to get me one, but it looks pretty bad.

Does anyone have an Operator Manual for a 98-01 Endeavor diesel pusher that I could prchase, or do you know where I could buy one?

Also, I cannot locate the computer for this unit. Where is it? Would appreciate some help.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What computer are you looking for?

Said another way, what functions does the computer you are looking for control?

Brett Wolfe

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

What computer are you looking for?

Said another way, what functions does the computer you are looking for control?

Brett Wolfe

Freightliner calls it the VDC, Vehicle Data Computer, and states for HR it is located in the right rear compartment.roof, under black cover. I cannot find it at that location. Nothing there. Other builder locations are close to the engine comp.

Cummins refers to it as the ECM or Electronic Control Module.

The reason I want to get into it is.... at about 33000 miles the speedometer was broken and I believe the Computer was replaced but a complete printout was run on the engine which I have. According to Freightliner procedures when the computer is replaced to correct a problem such as speedometer they are required to annotate reason of change in the computer, I assume the cover.........I would like to have that information.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome

Freightliner calls it the VDC, Vehicle Data Computer, and states for HR it is located in the right rear compartment.roof, under black cover. I cannot find it at that location. Nothing there. Other builder locations are close to the engine comp.

Cummins refers to it as the ECM or Electronic Control Module.

The reason I want to get into it is.... at about 33000 miles the speedometer was broken and I believe the Computer was replaced but a complete printout was run on the engine which I have. According to Freightliner procedures when the computer is replaced to correct a problem such as speedometer they are required to annotate reason of change in the computer, I assume the cover.........I would like to have that information.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks for the welcome

I have a '97 Endeavor with the Cat engine and all the manuals. I can tell you the factory manual on it is extremely general in nature and does not mention the location of the computer anywhere in it. You would probably be disappointed in the general nature of the factory manual. I have not actually seen the 98 manual, but would doubt there were any major changes in it.

Also, there were no siginificant difference between 97's & 98's to speak of other than the sheet metal/fiberglass front end looks (more square). They changed the bays slightly, with the 98's being more refined looking, but functionally the same. The water compartment is arranged slightly better with a more modern look. My opinion of these coaches is that the Endeavor is a very nice motorhome and built very well. I've had other motorhomes (including Winnebago) and will say the HR has much better insulation. The roof is very thick. When I changed the Fantastic ceiling fan, I had to call Fantastic Fan and order the trim ring that is much thicker than the standard one. Mine also has the dual pane windows, which also helps cut down on heat gain/loss. Both have heated water bays (from the LP heater). As motorhomes go, I think these are very well built and a bargin if you can do a lot of your own maintence. Having said that, there is no substitute for a through inspection before buying.

I've had to replace both front side windows due to fogging, replace the shower facet, install new fridge board, replace fuse in the inverter, replace check valve on water inlet, replace Fantastic Fan in ceiling, replace a couple of ceiling vents and 2 floor vents (plastic), replace satellite dish, replace head light lamps, have dash air repaired, get valves adjusted on engine (it was time), have all the belts and hoses changed, and replace all the tires. Most of these are minor repairs and/or maintenance, but they do run up if you have to pay someone to do it for you. On the other hand, I have a very reliable coach that is very nice inside. I would have no concerns about going anywhere in it. All these things are much less than the first or second yr of depreiation on a new unit.

Darryl

Thanks for the info about the manual. A forum member on another forum said they had a pdf file and is sending it to me.

I am now on a shakedown trip and I am finding this to be a fine unit. I will make the majority of the repairs. So far minor. I may need some of my windows replaced but they do that about 15 minutes from home in Hudson Fl. So no problem there.

I found a Cummins site that shows a complete breakdown of the Engine components. The engine computer is shown as mounted on the passenger side of the engine. I find this a little strange but it seem to work, Mystery solved.

Thanks again for your input.

Tom

Glad to hear it's going well Tom! You'll end up liking this unit alot. Be sure to check the age of your tires by the date code on them. If they're over 5 yrs, get them off.

Darryl

Glad to hear it's going well Tom! You'll end up liking this unit alot. Be sure to check the age of your tires by the date code on them. If they're over 5 yrs, get them off.

Darryl

Molded into ONE sidewall of each tire (could be facing inward) is a complete DOT number. The last four digits are molded in and are the WEEK and YEAR of production.

So DOT................2304 was made the 23rd week of 2004. If there are only three digits, the tires were made before 2000.

And I am not sure automatic replacement is needed at 5 years, but clearly they need to be checked carefully by a tire professional. You will never wear out the tread on an RV tire-- you will replace them based on age/side wall condition.

Brett Wolfe

Already checked it. My back tires are over 5 years so I will start looking for replacements. My front are good but they are WANLI tires. After checking on the internet Wanli tires are getting a good review. The steering is great and smooth.

Signed up for three years of Coach Net just in case.

Speed will be 60-65 on cruise control.

Thanks for the input.

I don't want to turn this thread into a tire topic, but as a side note, I have a digital readout heat gun and I ocassionally check my tire temp right after I stop. The two inside rear tires run about 15 degrees hotter than the outside dual. My coach had a blowout on the left inside dual when the previous owner owned it. The tires were 7 years old at the time. Caused some damage to the bottom of the coach, but nothing major. I was able to patch it with sheet aluminum.

Darryl